1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

slowly going loopy now...

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by papachumba, Nov 2, 2003.

1. papachumba

papachumba
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ok, been about a few months i've been thrawling through these forums, constantly changing my mind as what to get, finally i have arrived at the following:

Pioneer VSX-AX5i
    Kef Eggs latest edition
    Arcam DV89 dvd/cd player

This will be coupled with a panny plasma (which one, i still didnt make my mind up)

This would be the first stage of the purchase, after which i would be buying the arcam amp, and some good hifi speakers to match it.

What worries me is the fact that I would be using Arcam DV89 for the CD replay, and after reading all the good comments about this player, im still unsure at exactly HOW good it is in terms of normal audio.

My first choice was to buy the Pioneer processor and dvd player (matching ones connected with I-link), and go for those nice thin rotel components for audio (RCD02, RA02...). Would that setup perform better in the audio arena regarding the audio cd playback?

So to summarise, I have made my mind up about 3 makes im going for:
    Pioneer, Arcam & Rotel. (and dont even TRY and confuse me by talking about that great ____ player :) )
    I just dont know how to mix em together, either Pio & Arcam Or Pio & Rotel. Reason why i want the DV89 is because of its good reviews and the ability to play both cd & dvd significantly good, but if Rotel's CD playback is going to be notably better with their dedicated CD player, I'd go with them and just get a matching Pio dvd player.

Speakers for hifi will be either Keff or B&W when the time comes...

help me make my mind up!

2. Nobber22

Nobber22

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +109
    I think you are looking at the wrong component - the Arcam is just fine for CD replay. It's the Pioneer and especially the Eggs which are the weak links. :(

3. Hawklord

Hawklord

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +257
    I think the best thing to do would be to arrange for an audition of all the components your interested in at a local dealer. Your going to be spending quite a large amount of money after all and you want to be sure your getting the best sound (to your ears) for the money.
    Most good dealers will be able to let you listen to that specific set up and then you'll be able to compare it to others that you might not of thought about. They'd be able to make other suggestions to as to what may be suitable. Have a listen to the Arcam for cd playback and compare it to a designated cdp to make your own mind up on it's cd qualities.
    Usually it's best to have an integrayed amp for stereo duties since budget to mid ranged av amps don't cut the mustard with music in some cases imo.
    I'm also with Nobber22 on the fact that i'm of the opinion the eggs will be the limiting factor in that specific set up. They are very good with surround sound for movies but I'd personally prefer something a bit meatier (size wise) and if your going to replace the front left and right for hifi speakers anyway would be a faulse economy. You'd also have to replace the center for tonal match to the fronts anyway for a good front sound stage.

4. papachumba

papachumba
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Pioneer a weak link?

Now all i've heard is that this is a good AV amp...have you got any alternative sugestions?

My reason for going with eggs is that they are small in size and easy to move around the room. True, i could be going for a full-blown kef speaker setup, but im really weary of how much space these things occupy. Room is not too small, but then again i really do not want the speakers and the equipment to dominate the room when you walk in. I have heard eggs in stereo and, true while they are not as "beefy" as normal speakers I would be quite happy with this in regards to the Video playback...

On the other hand, im probably going to keep my hifi equipment totally separate and not mix the two, so getting a good arcam amp and then some "beefy" B&W speakers is probably what i will do next.

Dont eggs & Pio vsx5 make a good match? They cost about £1600 too! :eek:

5. Nobber22

Nobber22

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +109
    Papa - what exactly are you asking for advice with? You appear to be getting two seperate setups, one for music and one for AV. If you can do this and have the space, all power to you. Don't combine them, they are better on their own.

The Arcam/Pioneer/Eggs will be great as an AV setup, but a bit limited in stereo IMO. No problem you say, I'm getting a seperate (maybe Rotel and B&W 600 Series speakers?) setup for music. Great, that will work very nicely too.

Going back to AV, I see the Arcam as overkill if you also have a seperate stereo setup - you are unlikely to play CD's on it, so that aspect is redundant. If money is an issue, get a cheaper I-Link enabled Pioneer disk spinner. :)

6. Hawklord

Hawklord

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +257
    If you buy an av amp with pre-outs you can connect it to an integrated amp for stereo duties. The arcam range of integrated amps have an av switch which allows the av amp to control the gain when playing surround sound (no fiddling with two volume controls). This will allow you to use one set of speakers as fronts (less speakers) for both stereo and surround sound.
    I had a set up like this in the past (the same as my current system with different speakers)and was very happy both musically and movie wise:-

Sony dvdp >Denon 3802 > arcam a75+ integrated amp > B&W 602 S3 fronts and LRC60 centre for surround sound (you could use eggs as rears).

Arcam cd72t > Arcam a75+ > B&W 602 S3 fronts for music.

7. papachumba

papachumba
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hawk - thats exactly what i was planning to do, or something along those lines, im not that experienced you see...:blush: but i was sure something like that can be done. I think the Arcam DVD player has an audio output to be connected straight to the hifi amp....

ill be happy with keffs eggs for surrounds, and as I havent got enough money anyway to worry about the audio side of things, ill take care of it when the time comes...

8. Hawklord

Hawklord

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +257
    Yes you'd use the digital out to av amp for movies and the anologue out to integrated amp (making use of the arcams internal dac) for music. Remember to factor in the cost of good cables (usually about 10-15% of component values).
    Why not go for some of these for rears (a lot of ppl have them - me included):-

http://www.qed-uk.com/?i=0-FAK31ajcX_&vp=6&bg=216&bp=7dss&bi=0

these are available in black or silver, fit snuggly to the wall and are good at creating the rear sound field. I used these with the B&W's with excellent results and still use them today (never felt the need to replace them). What beefy B&W's were you thinking of looking at?

9. papachumba

papachumba
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    dunno... prob b&w 700 series or the CM series....

just the bookshelf ones

i still think ill just be buying keff eggs for surrounds...

10. papachumba

papachumba
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    another question:

to add to this,
    after getting the Pioneer vsx5 and arcam dvd player, what is the best way to connect this through to the Panasonic Plasma (PW6B)

Is it component or composite?

11. Hawklord

Hawklord

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +257
    Take your pick:-

TECHNICAL SPECIFICATIONS

All specification shown below are typical, unless otherwise
    stated. Please note that Arcam’s policy is one of continuous
    improvement. We therefore reserve the right to change the
    material, dimensions, specifications or design of our products
    shown or referred to herein at any time and without prior
    notice. Illustrations used in our leaflets or on our website are
    intended as a guide only. E&OE 10/02.

DV88 Plus DVD Player

General
    Power requirements 115V or 230V, set by voltage selector switch on rear panel
    Power consumption <30W
    Size W/D/H mm. inc. feet 430x280x90
    Weight 4.9kg nett
    6.5kg packed
    Video outputs:
    Composite video on 1 x gold plated phono, 1V pk-pk into 75 Ohms.
    S-Video on 1 x 4 pin mini DIN, Y 1V pk-pk in 75 Ohms, C 0.3V pk-pk into 75 Ohms.

Component video Interlaced or Progressive (525P) on 3 gold plated phono sockets. Y 1V pk-pk in 75 Ohms, Pb 0.7V pk-pk in 75 Ohms, Pr 0.7V pk-pk in 75 Ohms.

SCART socket with RGB video, all 0.7V in 75 Ohms, composite video 1V in 75 Ohms, and stereo audio.

I'd assume best picture afforded for would be via Component video Interlaced or Progressive

12. papachumba

papachumba
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thx 4 the advice mate!