Slower speeds and intermittent connection

quiet robert

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all

Had sky BB installed 6 weeks ago and everything was fine at the start consistent speeds of 10-12 megs and no probs.

2 weeks ago I had the extra sockets in the house connected to the master socket and since then max speed has been 6 meg and now it seems I can't be online and on the phone at the same time anymore. The phone cuts the broadband off.

Any solutions?

It should be as below:

Master ->filter - phone output -> extensions
- ADSL output -> router

If the master is connected directly to the enxtensions then that is your problem.

No the house is a new build the slave sockets have been wired to the master socket they've just recently been made live

That would explain it. Also when you pick up a phone it changes the load on the circuit, these things are dependant on layout.
The micro filter MUST be before the extensions.

Hi all

Had sky BB installed 6 weeks ago and everything was fine at the start consistent speeds of 10-12 megs and no probs.

2 weeks ago I had the extra sockets in the house connected to the master socket and since then max speed has been 6 meg and now it seems I can't be online and on the phone at the same time anymore. The phone cuts the broadband off.

Any solutions?

You need a faceplate for the master socket which isolates the broadband circuit from the house phone wiring

This does away with the need for micro filters and ensures the phones can't interfere with the broadband

Just because it's new build doesn't mean they can't wire it wrongly

Fdl 6036-705 ADSL Face Plate Splitter for NTE5 BT Master Socket

Appreciate it 961 but I wouldn't have a clue how to fit this and I don't wanna pay a call out charge I'll have a think about who I can get to fit it

Appreciate it 961 but I wouldn't have a clue how to fit this and I don't wanna pay a call out charge I'll have a think about who I can get to fit it

If you have a computer savvy friend that could be the way to go. In the meanwhile if you read carefully through this lot and study the photographs of master sockets towards the end you'll be able to see how your own set up has been put together

It would seem from what you say that you have one way or another paid someone (or the builder has) to wire your existing house phone system and my first reaction would be to get them to come back and find out what is wrong with it. I'd suggest whoever wired these extra sockets has done so incorrectly and they are the ones who should put it right. I'd probably start by ensuring that every connection has a good working microfilter on it. Every connection does include things like a Sky box which is often forgotten and left without a filter. You need to test all these microfilters I'm afraid, because they can and do fail. Buy a couple of spares and then replace each filter in turn, testing the system as you go

thinkbroadband :: Ordering & Installation FAQ

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom