1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Slow zooming camcorder?

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Editing Forum' started by beachboy, Nov 25, 2004.

1. beachboy

beachboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,
    I like zooming very very slowly and am looking for a camcorder that does just this. I've looked at the manual zoomers and they are beyond my scope. Any recommendations or are the palm sized camcorders all the same?

Thanks in advance

BB

2. Roy Mallard

Roy Mallard

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Buy a sony or (higher spec) canon with a LANC socket and a Jessops LANC controller for £30.

This gives you a varispeed zoom control, focus control & rec control off camera (either on tripod pan handle or handheld) so no camera shake.

If the zoom is really critical some top end dv cams like the xm2 allow you to change the sensitivity of the zoom rocker.

I would also advise using manual exposure and stopping down to f2.8 beofre you commence your zoom so you have a consistant exposure level throught the zoom range.

I would also zoom into your subject first, manually focus up, then go to your starting shot so that your focus is held through your zoom.

It's actually better grammer to take a variety of shots at different focal lengths and camera heights then intercut them ina (at least) 3-shot sequence, but if you must zoom, buy the lanc device and a compatible camera.