Slow Wireless Network Transfers

Discussion in 'Networking & NAS' started by owain_thomas, Mar 24, 2006.

1. owain_thomas

owain_thomas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +84
    I've just managed to get my wireless network running but I've found that file transfers are ridiculously slow compared to my old 100MBit wired network. Now I was expecting a bit of a slow down but this seems way OTT.

I used to transfer a DVD sized directory in about 10 minutes, using the wireless connection it takes about 100! :eek: :eek:

I've downloaded netstat live to see what network speeds I'm getting and it seems to level out at about 6700kbps. Surely this is a LONG way below what a 54Mbps connection should achieve? Or am I being overly optimistic?

2. Phill_1981

Phill_1981

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    I think you are being overly optimistic TBH.

3. evolution400

evolution400

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    There are a lot of things to factor when using WIFI.
    1) Interference on a channel
    2) claimed speeds are innaccurate.
    3) the speed degrades when signal is not "very good" or "excellent".

You may want to try using "netstumbler" you can view other WIFI netwroks within your area and also the noise on each channel then choose the one with least amount of noise or just start at 1 and work your way up.
    I can transfer a dvd img in 20 mins on my MAXG WIFI network which I am happy with.

4. jinky32

jinky32

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    yeah, my wireless connection was fine for web surfing, but pretty rubbish for file transfer - i've gone back to wired.

The times you've given do seem a little extreme, but not unbelievable. I noticed that when transfering large files the time remaining would fluctuate from 120 mins to 70 mins and back quite regularly - so it's difficult to know just how long it is going to take. Things might not be as slow as they appear to be, but 54mbps i think is the maximum throughput your gonna get, not the constant.

5. owain_thomas

owain_thomas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +84
    thanks for all the quick replies :)

I never expected to get 54000kbps, I just kind of hoped for a bit more than 12% of that!

@evolution, 20 mins for a DVD would be great (and, tbh, much nearer what I thought I would achieve). I've got a connection level of excellent 90% of the time and very good at all others (unsurprising really as the wireless router and pcs are no more than a few feet apart, unfortunately its through a wood panelled wall in a a rental property so wired is just not an option).

I'll have a go with netstumbler later and see if I can find a better channel, thanks for the tip.

6. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    54Mbps is really only achievable with very strong signals. Anything less, and you immediately drop down to 11Mbps. Add a few hundred re-tried packets, and the result is slow wireless.

I have a "54M" network here, but I live in an old house with solid brick internal walls. To get any sort of signal in my lounge, I have to use a wireless expander with my Linksys WAP which acts as a repeater for the signals. This is to get a wi-fi signal to travel about 20 feet line of sight.

Needless to say, I'll be putting more Cat5 in later this year.

7. nwgarratt

nwgarratt
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,190
    I have great success with wireless and internet sharing. I find file sharing is fine for small files but totally useless for big files. It takes me around a hour to transfer a 7GB file. I also have had the laptop disconnecting from the wireless when at 95% completed. I then had to start again. One time, it took me over six hours to move about 30GB.

I now use a external hard disk to move files and a wired network is not possible.

8. owain_thomas

owain_thomas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +84
    One thought I have had is that I could make a wired connection between two of my PCs (the ones I regularly transfer large files between which happen to sit next to eachother) and use that to transfer files. Can this co-exist happily alongside the wireless connections or will it cock things up?

9. BigBry

BigBry

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Assuming you're going through a router that should be fine. I've my main PC, an Xbox 360, a network storage drive and a HTPC connected by wires and my 3 kids PC's connected wirelessly. There's never any problem with that side of things (all PC's can see all shared folders etc).

10. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,241
    I get much faster transfer speeds by going peer to peer rather than through a centralised 54G router , Net connection to the router is fine but transferring files through it is a dog.

11. owain_thomas

owain_thomas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +84
    thanks, thats quite interesting, I was wondering if the connection to the router might be slowing it a bit

12. owain_thomas

owain_thomas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +84
    Just to update, I've solved my problems using a work-around. Since the two computers I have that need to be wireless are right next to eachother (main pc and server), I've connected them together using a crossover cable, I then bridged that connection with the wireless card's connection in one of the pcs and hey presto: gigabit transfers between my main pc and the server plus both of these PCs accessible by the HCPC in the lounge, working ok so far...