1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Slow thread on first opening

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by ianh64, Jun 26, 2005.

1. ianh64

ianh64

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    Im using Firefox 1.4 and when I first go to this forum, most of the page is displayed then it stops for very many seconds. I suspect byt the hard disc activity that there is something on the page that is causing something to run on my laptop - either that of my antivirus to start a large scan. Does anyone know what it is so I can disable it wth adblock.

-Ian

2. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Same browser here. I tried it and it loaded almost instantly. So, no help here, sorry.

3. ianh64

ianh64

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    Forgot to say, its 'only' a P3 650Mhz laptop so the less unnecessary adverts etc the better.

Gone are the days when a 0.5Hz typewriter could produce a perfect typewritten letter. But then, it was massively parallel. Now we seem to need 3GHz to achieve the same thing...

4. Rob1698

Rob1698

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    There is a flash ad at the right side of the page. Just block it.

5. bnewbie

bnewbie
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Actually I've had this problem on a few machines (I use Firefox among other browsers like Safari depending on what platform I use). Some are extremely powerful (dual Opteron 250s) and some like this Powerbook are less so (1GHz G4).

I believe due to the popularity of these forums (as a whole not a singular one) at times there are serious loads placed on the database server so it takes a while to grab all the info from it.

L

6. ianh64

ianh64

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    That would do it. I've adblocked it and will keep an eye on it. Definately not loading of the forum - it would not cause the machine to stall and large amounts of harddisc activity to start. Thought it may have been Mcafee - that kills some things just after startup.

I guess we are in the world of 3GHz machines - 500Mhz for the task in hand and 2.5GHz for adverts and antivirus.

7. Rob1698

Rob1698

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Normally when it takes so extraordinarily long to load a page, it is because there is JAVA in it.
    The JAVA VM that needs to starts is extremely slow. Even on 3 GHz systems it takes several seconds to start.
    However, it does not seem there is JAVA on this page (don't confuse with Javascript, this is something completely unrelated).
    Flash normally does not take that long to load, but still I find animated ads distracting so I always block them on first sight.

8. ianh64

ianh64

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    I thought that I hadblocked most things from the avforum but I can see a couple of items now that are being served from a remote site which has made some of my filters inneffective.

9. temp649

temp649

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Check out the FlashBlock Firefox extension.

Replaces Flash objects with a button you can click to view it.

10. ianh64

ianh64

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    This morning with a restart (Win2000) the same thing happened. I had the performance monitor running. The page seemed to open fine I think - there is quite alot at the foot of the page so i cannot be 100% sure it all loaded or triggered it. No new processes started, then suddenly Mcafee system scan antivirus kicked in, the forum froze for a many seconds. No obvious cause. Oddly Mcafee monitor was scanning C:\Documents and Settings\user\Application but there is no Application file or folder, hidden or otherwise in the \user\ directory. Maybe it is just that my antivirus is slow - possibly faster ones than Mcafee v4.5.1 exist but this was my corporate standard so daily updates are free so I am loath to revert to a subscription service.

-Ian

11. Rob1698

Rob1698

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    There is an "Application Data" folder. It is hidden.

McAfee just sucks. Not only is it extremely CPU-hungry, the company is usually last in updating their signature files. I would go for a smaller brand that focusses on technology, instead of for a major name in virusscanners.

12. ianh64

ianh64

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    I think that I have isolated slowdown to a virus scan to my fonts. For some reason, on first opening this forum, Mcafee decides to do a virus scan of all the fonts on my system and stalls the system for 30 seconds or more. I guess there must be something on the forum page that is touching all of my font files.

As an aside, can anyone recommend a decent alternative to Mcafee. Criteria is that is must be fast, accurate and updated in a timely manner - plus a reasonable amount of money as I have 3 PC's to install it on. Currently I am getting Mcafee virus signature updates for free due to a corporate licensing policy allowing home use, but the software has not been updated for ages. I feel a change is in order if I can reduce the performance hit with Mcafee.

-Ian

13. temp649

temp649

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I use etrust's EZ Antivirus. Cheap and effective (so far).

14. SteveW70

SteveW70

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I use Avast from ALWIL Software found here: http://www.avast.com/

Totally free, regular sheduled updates. :thumbsup:

I've used it for some time now on 4 seperate systems in my Office and never had a problem :smashin:

15. ianh64

ianh64

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    Thanks Steve

I have downloaded the virus checker and it confirmed my 3 PC's as being virus free. I have also downloaded the free scanner onto my problematic laptop and will monitor over the next few days. It doesn't seem any more responsive, if anything less, but it is running a few more cheks than Mcafee was. The stall with this forum page still occurs and also with other pages now so it may be the online scanner causing this - something that I was not running on Mcafee since the on access scanner detected net virus' in a timely manner. It does detect the eicar test virus so I am happy that I have the same level of protection.

Hopefully I will not get bombarded with spam with the online registration...

-Ian

16. SteveW70

SteveW70

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Glad to be of assistance :smashin:

I certainly don't remember being bombarded with spam on registration.

17. igauk

igauk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Just to throw another option in, I use AVG Free Edition, frequent updates, quick and generally much better than my corporate supported Sophos. I use it on a 599Mhz P4 laptop to view these forums with Firefox and haven't noticed any of the symptoms you describe.

18. SteveW70

SteveW70

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I use AVG at home.

Very good as well :smashin: