Slow speeds on Samsung T7 SSD

jev93

Novice Member
Reaction score
Slow speeds on Samsung T7 SSD

Hi,

I recently purchased a 2TB Samsung T7 SSD external hard drive for some extra storage on my Windows laptop. It was advertised as having sequential read and write speeds of up to 1000MB/s, but I'm only getting speeds of up to 50MB/s when I try to transfer files over.

I've run a third party speed test and have got less than encouraging results (max 100MB/s speeds), and a benchmarker piece of software has advised it's performing in the bottom 10% of similar products.

I'm at a bit of a loss as to what to do, but wondered if anyone had any advice before I send it back for a refund.

Thanks in advance.

Did you buy it from a reputable shop (i.e. not ebay, amazon marketplace or a Chinese shop)?

How is it connected and what is it connected to? Not every USB controller is capable of 1GB/s. Do other USB drives on the same port go substantially faster?

FIle transfer will generally only give close to sequential performance for large files - hundreds of megabytes each. If you're transferring smaller files it will be slower.

Were the benchmarks specifically for sequential performance?

Did you buy it from a reputable shop (i.e. not ebay, amazon marketplace or a Chinese shop)?

How is it connected and what is it connected to? Not every USB controller is capable of 1GB/s. Do other USB drives on the same port go substantially faster?

FIle transfer will generally only give close to sequential performance for large files - hundreds of megabytes each. If you're transferring smaller files it will be slower.

Were the benchmarks specifically for sequential performance?
Hi,

Appreciate the response. I purchased it directly from Amazon a couple of days ago. It's connected via a USB port (Intel USB 3.0 eXtensible Host Controller - 1.0). I've not had an SSD external drive before but I experienced pretty similar speeds on an old HDD I wanted to replace.

The files I was trying were anywhere from a few hundred MBs each to around 3-4GB each, so fairly large.

And yes, the drive was advertised as having up to 1000MB/s sequential read and write speeds.

Thanks

Maybe woth a try, optimize the SSD , I had a Google and this was mentioned afew times

Right click the external drive-properties-Policies-Optimize for perfomance or words to that effect.

One site with such info How to Increase Transfer Speed of External Hard Drive in 2021 - EaseUS

I'm only talking about the bit I wrote and not the rest of the article whether that is good or not so good. Nothing to lose and change to see if it makes a difference. It may be set up that way already as optimized ??

I am wondering if this is a driver issue, 50MB/Sec is around the max speed of USB 2.

If you using a front USB port, try one of the ones on the back and make sure its a USB 3 one.

My guess is a USB driver issue.

Have the drive the drive on another PC ? Maybe take it round to a friends house if you don't have another PC.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom