Slow speeds on Samsung T7 SSD

jev93

Slow speeds on Samsung T7 SSD

Hi,

I recently purchased a 2TB Samsung T7 SSD external hard drive for some extra storage on my Windows laptop. It was advertised as having sequential read and write speeds of up to 1000MB/s, but I'm only getting speeds of up to 50MB/s when I try to transfer files over.

I've run a third party speed test and have got less than encouraging results (max 100MB/s speeds), and a benchmarker piece of software has advised it's performing in the bottom 10% of similar products.

I'm at a bit of a loss as to what to do, but wondered if anyone had any advice before I send it back for a refund.

Thanks in advance.

EndlessWaves

Distinguished Member
Did you buy it from a reputable shop (i.e. not ebay, amazon marketplace or a Chinese shop)?

How is it connected and what is it connected to? Not every USB controller is capable of 1GB/s. Do other USB drives on the same port go substantially faster?

FIle transfer will generally only give close to sequential performance for large files - hundreds of megabytes each. If you're transferring smaller files it will be slower.

Were the benchmarks specifically for sequential performance?

jev93

Did you buy it from a reputable shop (i.e. not ebay, amazon marketplace or a Chinese shop)?

How is it connected and what is it connected to? Not every USB controller is capable of 1GB/s. Do other USB drives on the same port go substantially faster?

FIle transfer will generally only give close to sequential performance for large files - hundreds of megabytes each. If you're transferring smaller files it will be slower.

Were the benchmarks specifically for sequential performance?
Hi,

Appreciate the response. I purchased it directly from Amazon a couple of days ago. It's connected via a USB port (Intel USB 3.0 eXtensible Host Controller - 1.0). I've not had an SSD external drive before but I experienced pretty similar speeds on an old HDD I wanted to replace.

The files I was trying were anywhere from a few hundred MBs each to around 3-4GB each, so fairly large.

And yes, the drive was advertised as having up to 1000MB/s sequential read and write speeds.

Thanks

Missyeight

Maybe woth a try, optimize the SSD , I had a Google and this was mentioned afew times

Right click the external drive-properties-Policies-Optimize for perfomance or words to that effect.

One site with such info How to Increase Transfer Speed of External Hard Drive in 2021 - EaseUS

I'm only talking about the bit I wrote and not the rest of the article whether that is good or not so good. Nothing to lose and change to see if it makes a difference. It may be set up that way already as optimized ??

oneman

I am wondering if this is a driver issue, 50MB/Sec is around the max speed of USB 2.

If you using a front USB port, try one of the ones on the back and make sure its a USB 3 one.

My guess is a USB driver issue.

Have the drive the drive on another PC ? Maybe take it round to a friends house if you don't have another PC.

The latest video from AVForums

Sony Bravia XR A80J OLED TV Review
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom