Slow & Pressure Cooker users thread.

aVdub

Ex Member
Reaction score
Seen a few Slow cooker pictures in PPoyRP and a few threads asking advice on what slow cooker and thought I would start a thread here where we can discuss everything Slow Cooker related.

Last edited:
Any recommendations on what type of beer to use with a beef casserole?

Was thinking Guinness may be too strong, but am sort of liking, or a Newcastle Brown Ale.

Guinness is great adds a nice depth of flavour add most during cook and a little near the end to allow a bit of the beer to come through

Beef goes well with any beer or red wine or any other flavour, pick what you like.

Like many, I use an Instant pot

Does the Instant Pot allow you to thicken gravy/sauces?

I have a great beef cheeks recipe, it cooks great in a slow cooker for 8/9 hours, however, at the end you need to remove the cheeks, blend the ingredients in a food mixer & then reduce it on a hob. Would be good to have something that creates the thickened gravy on it’s own.

I think I read somewhere a sauté function would do it?

Try putting a whole chicken in a slow cooker. Stuff it's bum with some garlic and oranges and whatever else you want. Use some roller up foil to stop the bird touching the bottom of the slow cooker and its juices. After 8 hours remove the chicken then use the juices in the bottom to make gravy

What’s the theory with not letting it touch the bottom?

What’s the theory with not letting it touch the bottom?
It's to stop it from swimming in its own juices. Doesn't need to be propped up

I have a great beef cheeks recipe, it cooks great in a slow cooker for 8/9 hours, however, at the end you need to remove the cheeks, blend the ingredients in a food mixer & then reduce it on a hob. Would be good to have something that creates the thickened gravy on it’s own.

That is something I was thinking about recently, with the OH commenting that, although nice, it was a bit runny and was thinking about trying some corn flower next time.

Spoon off any excess fat1. Mix 2-3 tsp cornflour with just enough cold water to make a smooth paste, pour into the slow cooker sauce and continue cooking for a further 10-15 minutes or until sauce thickens.

Slow Cooking | Food in a Minute

That’s the same way I thicken gravy, but that’s on a hob, can’t see how the slow cooker could do that at a lower temp & without stirring, but I’ll give it a go

Another one I love is my beef stew.
Coat some chopped braising steak or diced beef in flour. Then fry in a pan some onion, chilli (one red one green, or something spicier if you fancy) with some ginger, garlic, 2 tbsp allspice and a few gloves. Once the onion is starting to caramelise add the beef and continue stirring until it's browned. Add one or two tablespoons of hot pepper sauce depending on taste and stir. Remove from the heat and add one pint of beef stock gradually while stirring. Transfer to the slow cooker and add peppers, tomatoes, carrots, potatoes or whatever other veg you want. Add a tablespoon of flour and stir again. Leave to cook on low for 8 hours.

Another one I love is my beef stew.
Coat some chopped braising steak or diced beef in flour. Then fry in a pan some onion, chilli (one red one green, or something spicier if you fancy) with some ginger, garlic, 2 tbsp allspice and a few gloves. Once the onion is starting to caramelise add the beef and continue stirring until it's browned. Add one or two tablespoons of hot pepper sauce depending on taste and stir. Remove from the heat and add one pint of beef stock gradually while stirring. Transfer to the slow cooker and add peppers, tomatoes, carrots, potatoes or whatever other veg you want. Add a tablespoon of flour and stir again. Leave to cook on low for 8 hours.
I did something very similar over the weekend (adding frozen peas and spinach towards the end). Tasted 10 times better the day after when reheated with a jacket spud.

Yes, sauté would do it, and the Instant Pot has 3 heat settings for sauté.
Only downside I can think of is it will only slow cook for 4 hours, but can then keep it warm for up to 10 more.

I did something very similar over the weekend (adding frozen peas and spinach towards the end). Tasted 10 times better the day after when reheated with a jacket spud.

That's how I finished off the beef stew with a couple small jackets.

Perfect when the weather is not that great outside.

Yes, sauté would do it, and the Instant Pot has 3 heat settings for sauté.
Only downside I can think of is it will only slow cook for 4 hours, but can then keep it warm for up to 10 more.

Oh really, so heat wise is it similar to a high setting on a normal slow cooker? I.e: most recipes I use are 7-9 hours low, or 3-5 on high

There are three temperature settings, low medium and high, I'll test what they are.

I Googled it :blush:

Slow Cooker – defaults to a 4 hour slow cook time. Use the adjust button to slow cook on low (190-201°F), normal (194-205°F ) or high (199-210°F)

190 F is the low setting for a slow cooker. So I just checked, 4 hrs is the default setting, you can increase it to anything up to 20hrs :facepalm:

Also will add that some of the larger slow cookers will cook and boil to crisp if not enough liquid is added.

Was the first thing I noticed when going from a small to giant slow cooker and now make sure it is pretty much well loaded before switching.

The Breville/Heston Fast Slow Pro which is a competitor to Instant Pot has a Reduce option.

Put a large gammon joint in last night at 6pm and took it out this morning at 7am and am now trying really hard to not pick it all off the plate bit by bit and eat it all.

Only added some cloves.

boiling2.jpg

Put a large gammon joint in last night at 6pm and took it out this morning at 7am and am now trying really hard to not pick it all off the plate bit by bit and eat it all.

Only added some cloves.

View attachment 984003
Lurpak comparison required.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom