Quantcast

Slow & Pressure Cooker users thread.

Miss Mandy

Purchased my budget slow cooker in July 19 and the box is still unopened. :D:facepalm:

Think i might open it up Sunday and try and cook the easiest slow cooker meal possible to start with lol.
Go for it!
My slow cooker is the most budget model around, I think. It was about a tenner from The Range years ago, but it's one of my most used aplliances. Not much beats the smell of a nice beef stew cooking away. I stick mine on first thing on a Sunday morning and it's ready for dinner dinner time, just needs the dumplings chucking in about half hour before eating time.
It's so quick and easy to prepare.

Sonic67

Distinguished Member
Which Instant Pot for around three people?

aVdub

Distinguished Member
Which Instant Pot for around three people?
We have the 5.7L and although it may appear large, it is perfect for us (2 people) and can also be used to batch cook for later.
Takes a whole medium chicken for example.

Sonic67

Distinguished Member
1579889975434.png

aVdub

Distinguished Member
I've found through trial and error that it is sometimes better to saute in another pan first and then add to the IP, which can be a real bugger at times with things that have a habit of burning with ease.

For me the machine comes into it's own when using the Stew function to tenderise long cook beef for use in Far Eastern dishes. Placing the meat in a metal dish, raised on an egg holder, above a cup or so of spiced water.

DJT75

Distinguished Member
Anyone tried lamb shanks in the Instant Pot? Want to do kleftiko style shanks sitting on top of potatoes like they do in Greek restaurants, to soak up the lamb juices,

I’m thinking pressure cooking is no good as I don’t want them sitting in liquid, so would slow cooking without much liquid work ok? (Not done too much slow cooking with minimal liquid). Also don’t want the potatoes to over do & turn to mush. They will be whole/halved large potatoes, peeled. They need to stay that shape but be perfectly soft to eat.

Any advice would be appreciated, including timing & settings.

thanks

ps. I have the Duo 8 Litre. I need to cook for 6 people, so 6 shanks + 3-4 potato halves each.

IronGiant

If you can raise the food above the liquid then you can steam under pressure. Might be worth trying when it isn't mission critical if it doesn't work :)

DJT75

Distinguished Member
Ah yes, I’ve read that somewhere now. So what do you use to raise it, that’s safe in an Instant Pot pressure?

This is mission critical but I have this weekend for a trial run. Do you think a long slow cook (10 hours....ish) is OK with minimal liquid?

IronGiant