1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Slow Motion

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Editing Forum' started by GavinH, Jan 15, 2004.

1. GavinH

GavinH
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I was wondering how to produce a slow motion image? Excuse my lack of konwledge, but I was unsure whether this would be a camcorder function or and editing function...

...I suppose that if the camcorder records the image at a set number of frames per second, and then as an editing step, you decide to show the same frames at a slower fps rate, the video image would look odd - maybe jerky?

So, does the camera need to be set to take more images so that when slowed down the video looks smooth? If so, what function is it on the camera that I need? I ask because I would like to be able to produce slow motion video, but have not yet bought the camcorder...

Thanks,

Gav

2. Brian110507

Brian110507

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Idealy you would do it in the camera by running it at a faster rate when recording, but I do not know of any domestic type camcorder which includes this function, you would be looking at a very expensive proffessional camera.

It is possibly to do it to some extent in software editing packages, I have Ulead Video Studio 7 and you can set the replay speed in that but it does it by repeating frames so that a very slow speeds although the video itself is smooth the action can appear jerky.

3. GavinH

GavinH
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the info mate... I had a feeling that camcorders with this function would be more expensive...

You mentioned that it is at very slow speeds that it can appear jerky... does it look ok when you only moderately slow down the action?

Cheers,

Gav

4. vonhosen

vonhosen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    How you do slow motion in editing is going to vary on your particular editing software.

I use Vegas Video & for this you would use a "Velocity envelope" Then drag this envelope to speed up or slow down the video. Another option you have in Vegas is to stretch the particular piece of video you want. (The further you stretch it the longer that section of video plays back over at an obviously slower rate.)

To avoid jerkyness your editing software may re-sample the video & interpolate extra frames of video for smoother transition. (if your software does this)

5. whatdoiknow

whatdoiknow

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a Sony D8 cam and a Panasonic MiniDV cam and they both do quite a good job of replaying in slomo, far better than any VCR I have seen. The slomo is on the remote.

I would add that on the editing system I have (Casablanca Avio) down loading the slomo via firewire is not very good, comes out very jerky even though it looks great on the cam's screen. Down loading via the 'S' output it looks very good.

Regards,

Martin

6. matty2767

matty2767

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    pinnacle studio 8 will do slo mo. within the editing suite.

7. GavinH

GavinH
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks guys.

Martin, are you saying that you can use the camcorder to play the video in slow mo and capture it as you do so? What is the 'S' output?

Also, I have noticed that some camcorders also have a USB connection... does anyone know if this is USB2? Or will it be USB2 if they specifically say so? Apparently USB2 is quicker than Firewire? Maybe it will improve the capture of slow mo?

Cheers, Gav

8. vonhosen

vonhosen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    USB2 is theoretically quicker than firewire but in practice firewire is the most reliable for video capture. USB is OK for lower res webcam use or stills capture.

9. matty2767

matty2767

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i wouldnt have thought you would be able to transfer video to your pc using usb.

10. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,380
    Yes, but I would think this would be of poor quality as you would have noise bars across the picture etc. It's the same as the slow playback on many VCR's.
    I Think he means the S-Video output (small round din socket) on a camcorder.

It will only be USB2.0 if the specs say it's USB2.0, otherwise it will be 1.1
    Some of the newer camcorders are being release with USB2.0 but it is not yet the standard.
    My understanding is that USB2.0 is faster than firewire, but only in short bursts. It can not sustain full speed transfer where as firewire can.

Mark.

11. GavinH

GavinH
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for clearing that up :)

Gav

12. whatdoiknow

whatdoiknow

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Gavin,

The 'S' is the SVHS video output on your camcorder and yes I can record direct to the Casablanca. You have to realise that the Casablanca is a stand alone editing system and although based on PC technology does not have to have any special capturing hardware or software, just plug in the firewire or analogue connection and press record.

Mark,

There are no noise bars on the slomo playback on the two camcorders I use, it is virtually perfect slomo.

Regards,

Martin

13. Billwill

Billwill

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you can get hold of Adobe premiere, that allows you to adjust the speed as a percentage. You can then do things to make it more watchable within the programme.

I think that using a slow shutter speed on your cam might help here also for slow mo.

14. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,380
    I'm sure I read in another thread someone say that Pinnacle Studio 8 could do slomo. But as I've never used it I can't say for sure.

Mark.