• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Slow internet

alex

Established Member
I don't know much about ISPs and stuff like that so expect noob questions.

At uni my internet is really quick, i did a speed check and it was, quite frankly, awesome.

I went home the other day and i noticed my internet was substantially slower, so i did a check for that, and it told me that my download speed was 0.3mbps and upload was 0.2mbps. Now, maybe im missing something, but 0.3 / 0.2 is pretty crap isnt it?

Why would this be? We use broadband, im pretty sure its BT although id have to ask my dad, he pays the bills, but we are supposed to get about 6mbps i think. I understand that its always a bit lower than what they say it is, but surely 0.3 is wrong? We use a netgear wireless router, although the main pc that i did this check on uses a wired ethernet connection. I wouldnt dare check wirelessly or i might have a heart attack.

Any help?

accyuklad

Banned
maybe internal wiring as gone

to make sure you rule out its not your internal wiring put your broadband into the master test socket if speed improves then you know its internal if stays same then ring bt

beerhunter

Distinguished Member
First of all how and where are you measuring it? Remember the Line Rate is rated in BITS per second (b/s) whereas Windows, for example will, report in BYTES per second (B/s).

How is your PC connected to the router?

Assuming that you are on BT, what do you get here Test Result (If you post the entire result, I'll interpret it for you.)

majnu

Distinguished Member
Hi

What package are you on and who is your ISP?
What is your distance from the exchange?
Is your local exchange LLU enabled?

Post your router stats from your BT NTE5 Test socket if you have one or from the Master socket if you have the LJU type.

Stiggy

Distinguished Member
At uni my internet is really quick, i did a speed check and it was, quite frankly, awesome.

I went home the other day and i noticed my internet was substantially slower, so i did a check for that, and it told me that my download speed was 0.3mbps and upload was 0.2mbps. Now, maybe im missing something, but 0.3 / 0.2 is pretty crap isnt it?
Your University will have a very fast connection to the Internet, so your home broadband will never compare.

If you did a test at night (between midnight and 7am) you might find the home download speeds are much better.

alex

Established Member
i am away until next tuesday, ill post all the answers then

alex

Established Member
ok, this is going to sound noobish

when we first got the internet 15 years ago, my dad signed up to aol, with the program you have to install, and ever since then he has always used it. i dont use it, i use safari, as does my brother, but my dad still does, and pays aol for the internet service. as far as im aware i dont know anyone else who still doest this, so im wondering if i should uninstall the program, change our internet to something cheaper and probably faster, and get him to just use safari / firefox?

alex

Established Member
i did an online test again, and these were the results i got;
526kbps download
356kbps upload

this was doen on my laptop over a wireless connection so it was obviously going to be slower, but the wired pc upstairs isnt much quicker

also this was done at 0120am so obv not a busy period

i have also done a post code checker, to see what the network allows, and it allows up to 24mb download, i need to check the price plan we are on

we are 1.4 miles from the exhange

Last edited:

Jammie dodger

Established Member
ok, this is going to sound noobish

when we first got the internet 15 years ago, my dad signed up to aol, with the program you have to install, and ever since then he has always used it. i dont use it, i use safari, as does my brother, but my dad still does, and pays aol for the internet service. as far as im aware i dont know anyone else who still doest this, so im wondering if i should uninstall the program, change our internet to something cheaper and probably faster,

I would suggest installing a decent browser and email client on his PC and getting him used to using them first, then unistall AOL's software.

and get him to just use safari / firefox?
or Opera...

beerhunter

Distinguished Member
i have also done a post code checker, to see what the network allows, and it allows up to 24mb download, i need to check the price plan we are on

we are 1.4 miles from the exhange
Just a couple of comments.

Using a Post Code to check DSL speeds is highly inaccurate because Post Codes are for delivering mail not DSL. You should always use a telephone number, unless the premises does not currently have one.

There is no way that you will get 24Mb/s at 1.4 miles from the exchange. Not all ISPs offer 24 Mb/s anyway - BT being one of them. (Only up to 20 Mb/s.)

alex

Established Member
oh right
well more points anyway

i tried plugging my macbook into the wireless router to do a wired internet test, and the results were pretty much the same

this has me thinking that it might be a fault with the router or the source?

seddy

Established Member
1. Can you post the stats from the router,Sync speed attenuation Snr both up and down.

2.You say "but the wired pc upstairs isnt much quicker" is the router connected to an extension socket or lead?
It should be connected to the Master Socket and if your stats report low its worth connecting to the Test socket behind the faceplate of the master

3.Your exchange name would be helpful to see what ISPs are available if you were to transfer the connection for possible better speeds.

The latest video from AVForums

Spielberg, Shyamalan, Aronofsky, Chazelle, Eddie Murphy and Mel Gibson - all the latest movies
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom