1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Slow Internet Speed on Wireless Network

Discussion in 'Networking & NAS' started by shoehorn, May 5, 2005.

1. shoehorn

shoehorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Hi,

I know this isn't exactly the right place, but I also know there are (or seem to be!) some knowlegeable people here....!

Here's my problem - any ideas please?

I have 2 PC's sharing a 1 Meg NTL Broadband connection, that are on a wireless network at home.
    Both are running XP - SP2.

My PC has Norton Systemworks, with Virus and Firewall on - XP Firewall is off.
    I've also just installed the Microsoft Spyware Beta.

The other (I've only just got it for my children) has no virus checker (yet) and XP Firewall turned on.

The computers share one folder, that I've mapped as the 'S' drive and a printer connected to my PC...

Everythig works well, except that my PC is now really sluggish at loading internet pages, often dropping the connection all together.

Whereas the Children's PC is as quick as I would expect mine to be.... (and as quick as it used to be...)

Hopefully it's something straightforward, can anyone help please...?

Thanks!

2. davehk

davehk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    Are you saying that this problem started after you installed the MS spyware beta? If so, the solution seems self evident.

Norton is known to cause these problems - it's a resource hog. Do yourself a favour and install the free AVG virus checker from Grisoft and free Zonealarm firewall from Zone Labs (on BOTH machines!).

For spyware protection, use a combination of the free Spybot search and destroy and the free Adaware.

www.grisoft.com for AVG
    www.zonealarm.com

3. shoehorn

shoehorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Thanks davehk,
    I'll try uninstalling the Microsoft Spyware.
    My Subscription for Norton is due in 10 days as well, so I'll go for the AVG and Zone Alarm too... thanks for the links!