• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Slow Internet need advice on speedtest results and what my next course of action

martin.durant

Standard Member
Hi there

a bit of background information

for the last 2 years i have been with BT broadband getting good speeds of around 6 -7 MB. however in the last three weeks this has dropped to 0.1 MB!!!!

after lots of discussions with BT and moving the router to the main BT socket etc this is still not improved
no.gif

last night i run the speed tester listed on bts website and got some results i dont quite understand?

103 Kbps

0 Kbps 250 Kbps
Max Achievable Speed

Download speed achieved during the test was - 103 Kbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 50-250 Kbps.
Additional Information:
Your DSL Connection Rate :7040 Kbps(DOWN-STREAM), 448 Kbps(UP-STREAM)
IP Profile for your line is - 135 Kbps

i dont understand how my dsl connection rate is so high 7mb? and the download speed and ip profile is still so low?

i feel like bt are giving me poor answers due to my lack of tecnical knowledge? so can someone attempt to explain these results to me
smiley.gif

thanks

Martin

beerhunter

Distinguished Member
At some point your DSL Connection Rate has dropped and your IP Profile followed it - as it should. If the original fault has gone away, it should recover automatically within three days.

However if the fault remains, causing an unstable DSL Rate, it will not recover. Second sometimes IP Profiles get 'stuck' and 135 is a favorite number them to get stuck at.

The BT Staff at the Call Centre should understand all of this but in my experience - they don't!

If this has been going on for three weeks, your IP Profile should have recovered and So BT's first action should be to get it reset. For a DSL Rate or 7040 kb/s (which is very good BTW) your IP Profile should be 6000 kb/s. If it drops back it means the the underlying fault is still there and so, assuming that they have eliminated your Internal Wiring as a source of the problem, BT should get Openreach involved. They don't like doing that that because it costs them money.

I would call them again and tell them that the fault that you have does not take rocket science to fix but some some simple applied diagnostics and that you are giving them ONE more chance to fix it, after which you WILL write a letter of complain to BT's Chairman. Name and address posted here umpteen times.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 8K TV dead? Philips OLED+907, Pioneer LX505 AVR plus B&W 700 S3 Reviews & Visit + AV/HiFi News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom