Slow download speed pc help

SnakePlissken006

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I recently bought a gaming pc and I'm getting terrible download speeds. My Internet is bt fibre 100mbps but all my downloads like steam and game pass are capped at 4mbs. I'm using wireless connection with the tp link archer the ac1200 adapter. I've downloaded the drivers for it too. I use wireless for my laptop and ps5 and they don't have this problem just pc. On properties it says network band 2.4ghz and link speed 144/144 mbps. I heard it might be something to do with delivery optimisation but windows won't let me turn that off.

Are you sure its not 4MB/s with the capital 'B' rather than Mb/s small 'b'

Can you temporarily connect the PC via a Ethernet cable to test it ?

When you say you bought a 'Gaming PC' what are the specs of the machine that you bought ?

4 MB/s (megabytes per second) is about 32mbps (megabits per second.)

144/144mbps Wi-Fi link rates sounds suspiciously like 2 stream 802.11N. If you tell us what make/model Wi-Fi NIC you are using and the make/model of your router, we can check out what it's maximum link rates are.

As @oneman suggests, it would be well worth testing using cabled ethernet. Indeed, if you are a serious gamer, then cabled ethernet ought to be a permanent solution for a machine that never moves. Ethernet is the fastest and most reliable networking.

Wi-Fi is fundamentally unreliable and fickle. Add some unfavourable signaling conditions and competition for "air time" (in Wi-Fi "only one thing at a time can transmit") and it doesn't take much to upset it.

4 MB/s (megabytes per second) is about 32mbps (megabits per second.)

144/144mbps Wi-Fi link rates sounds suspiciously like 2 stream 802.11N. If you tell us what make/model Wi-Fi NIC you are using and the make/model of your router, we can check out what it's maximum link rates are.

As @oneman suggests, it would be well worth testing using cabled ethernet. Indeed, if you are a serious gamer, then cabled ethernet ought to be a permanent solution for a machine that never moves. Ethernet is the fastest and most reliable networking.

Wi-Fi is fundamentally unreliable and fickle. Add some unfavourable signaling conditions and competition for "air time" (in Wi-Fi "only one thing at a time can transmit") and it doesn't take much to upset it.
Indeed!

As @mickevh states your download speeds are inline with the speed test, therefore your WiFi connection is not giving you enough speed to benefit for your ISP connection speed.

You don't mention how far away you from the router or whether the laptop and PS5 are in the same place or room.

Do you have a separate 5GHz network SSID?

Hi Sorry for late replies. To answer a few of you questions, my ps5, pc, and phone are all in same room. Router is too far away for ethernet I'm afraid as it can only be set up downstairs. All my other wireless devices are fine. I done an internet speedcheck on my phone and I'm getting 129mbps download and 30mbps upload. Pc is currently at 8.60mbps download and 21.2mbps upload. I honestly can't find any solution. I'm using bt ultrafast fibre 100 with smart hub 2 router.

Hi Sorry for late replies. To answer a few of you questions, my ps5, pc, and phone are all in same room. Router is too far away for ethernet I'm afraid as it can only be set up downstairs. All my other wireless devices are fine. I done an internet speedcheck on my phone and I'm getting 129mbps download and 30mbps upload. Pc is currently at 8.60mbps download and 21.2mbps upload. I honestly can't find any solution. I'm using bt ultrafast fibre 100 with smart hub 2 router.
whats the wireless card / usb dongle or whatever in your PC ?

The fact its connecting at 2.4GHz isn't a great sign.

Can you tell us what router you are using...?

In no particular order, here are some things to check on the Wi-Fi NIC settings (not all options may be present/adjustable depending on the device driver):
  • Both wavebands (2.4GHz and 5GHz) enabled
  • If there's an option to do so "prefer" 5GHz (you might even experiment with disabling 2.4GHz and force 5GHz operation)
  • Enable N/AC protocols (thereby disabling A/B/G - though it sound like it's not using the latter.)
  • Some NIC's offer the ability to operate N in 2.4GHz, 5GHz or both. (AC is mandatory 5GHz only.)
  • Disable the "N" protocol, leaving only AC active (which will force 5GHz operation) see what difference it makes.
  • If the NIC offers any options for channel "width" enable the fattest channels you can. Channel widths available are 20MHz (all) 40MHz (N & AC) 80MHz (AC only) and 160MHz (AC only, though not widely supported.) These might be styled things like "HT40" or "VHT80" but the numbers should be obvious.
144mbps link rate is indicative that you are using 20MHz channels, (and is the fastest 2 stream links go in N and almost the fastest AC will go using 20MHz channel.) This suggests it may not be binding up the fatter channels, so I think I'd start there.

The 5GHz waveband is where all the fastest speeds are to be found, If possible, try forcing it to 5GHz operation by disabling 2.4GHz options.

Has your router different SSID's for 2.4GHz and 5GHz or are they both the same?

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom