Slow channel change. Normal?

Discussion in 'Satellite TV, Sky TV & FreeSat' started by lechacal, Nov 14, 2001.

1. lechacal

lechacal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +66
    I'm new to Sky Digital having just escaped from cable hell, so this may just be the way things are, but...
    My digibox zips through the menus and the EPG just fine but the channel change can take *an age*! It varies though. Sometimes it's OK, but others you're waiting 20seconds just for sound and then another half minute to get the picture of the channel you've switched to.
    I've been given the new slim profile Amstrad box. Please tell me it hasn't got the same reputation as the old Amstrad box!

Thanks

2. bob007

bob007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Don`t know about amstrad boxes, i have a pace but the software should all be the same, if it is a new box it may have the old software installed.

Check in SYSTEM DETAILS should read;

OPERATING SYSTEM VERSION; 1.2S4Bc
    EPG SOFTWARE2.7bb.9*

If yours is any different you can do a manual download; Power down wait 30secs, when powering back up hold the back up button in for 15 secs or untill a message appears on screen.
    hope this helps.

3. lechacal

lechacal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +66
    My OS is 1.2S4Be.
    Does that mean mine is more recent than yours?

4. Doubledoom

Doubledoom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    There is no need to do a full reboot as mentioned above.

Sometimes you just need to reset it instead. Turn off at the plug, wait 10 seconds and then turn back on again. It will then do a reset (also installing any update which has been downloaded but not yet installed).

Doing a full reboot will take much longer and will remove any software updates already downloaded but not yet installed.

5. bob007

bob007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Might well be more recent than mine, will do a re-set see if it alters, as d.d says software can be downloaded but not installed.

6. bob007

bob007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Done a re-set but made no difference still O.S.V reads 1.2S4bc.
    So there is more than one O.S.V. May be a bug in the O.S.V you have, would be nice to know anyone else who has this version if they are having the same problem.
    Had no problems with mine since they exchanged the old pace box with the 2nd generation box, must be over a year now.

By the way did a re-set made any difference to your problem.

7. lechacal

lechacal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +66
    I've done the reset a few times but no good.
    It's getting pretty annoying. If the performance of the box is unacceptable then do I have any comeback on Sky? (Bearing in mind the box and dish were 'free').

8. bob007

bob007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Try a manual download it may do the trick, if this does not work contact sky and tell them you have a faulty box and could they replace it, you should have 12months guarantee on the box anyway. If you can, get a pace box, never had any problems with mine. Good luck.

;)