Slow-Carb diet (4 hour body - Tim Ferriss)

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by Phil Scott, Feb 28, 2013.

1. Phil Scott

Phil Scott

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +105
    Anyone had any experience of the "Slow-Carb Diet"? It is from the book the 4 hour body and 4 hour chef by Tim Ferriss.

It is essentially this:

No white carbs e.g. pasta, rice, potatoes, bread etc.
    No fruit
    No drinking calories e.g Coke etc.

6 days of the week are strictly vegetables, legumes (beans, lentils) and protein (lean meats). It is important to drink lots of water, and to also consume 30g of protein within 30 minutes of waking in the morning. You can eat as much as you want so you are never hungry, so long as you stick within the categories of food allowed.

1 day of the week is the cheat day where you can go all out and eat absolutely whatever you want. This helps to keep your metabolism active.

There is more to it than this, but this is the basics.

There is various other things included such as some basic body weight exercies and cold therapy (cold showers / ice packs) which help to keep your metabolism going, and a few supplements.

There have reportedly been much success with people who have followed this diet and it does not seem uncommon to lose 10-20lbs after a month or 2.

I am going to start on this from Monday and will record my progress here. If anyone else is following this diet or wants to then feel free to post here too :smashin:

2. DarkDogZA

DarkDogZA

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +119
    Did you follow the diet?

3. Turb007

Turb007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +692
    This diet sounds pretty much what a lot of most health/ fitness sites /magazines would recommend anyway. low gi / nom startchy carbs . lots of water and protein I follow most of what you wrote through common sense clean eating.

the only thing i would be wary of would be the eat as much as you like part as I would still want to know my daily calorie allowance depending on my gaol and woudl want to stay within that

Just to add where is the exercise ? wont lose much for long without that

also cheat days are bull in my opinion, yes a cheat meal once a week but not what ever you like in one day just gives people a reason to undo all the good work detoxing imo

you could have a full English breakfast, KFC lunch and Pizza / pasta / chinese / indian meal in the evening - YUK :)

4. Phil Scott

Phil Scott

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +105
    Yes have been following the diet for the last month - lost 4.5kg / 10lbs.

In regards to eating as much as you like, calorie counting is fine if that works for you, or if that's what you want to do. Part of the reasoning behind the slow-carb diet is to make it as simple to follow as possible to avoid people giving up. So far its been working for me so don't currently feel a need to do this. I have done in the past and may do in the future, but for now, it's nice just not worrying about it.

Currently no exercise mainly due to work - but then again I was doing no exercise prior to the diet so no worse off. Will be starting the gym in a month or 2 when I can get a routine going (currently not possible due to work) and also looking to invest in a Kettle Bell so I can try and get some work in at home where gym is not possible.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2013
  5. Grangey.

Grangey.

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +886
    Yeah this is pretty much how I live my life lol, although I do try to include fruit when I remember as theres too many valuable things to the body to exclude it

6. Thug

Thug
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,740
    Why is this?

7. Phil Scott

Phil Scott

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +105
    Unpredicatable work routine and never really knowing when I will finish work - early starts and late finishes etc and travelling.

I have done gym routines in the past but have found work has always got in the way - if I stick to a structured routine I am fine but as soon as I break it, or don't have a routine to stick to, I just don't keep it up.

Sounds silly but that's the way I am!

Because of this I have ordered a 16kg Kettlebell so will be able to use that at home in the evenings until my routine is a bit more settled, and then I will be starting Jiu Jitsu training which should help keep the weight coming off.

This Sunday was the end of week 5 and so far have lost a total of 1 stone with no exercise so far - quite happy with this but I am keen to begin the Kettlebell exercises to maintain the muscle mass that I do have.

8. Thug

Thug
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,740
    I know what you mean, but you have to make the effort.
    I work 12 hours shifts, up at 5am at work for half 6, finish at 7pm then straight to the gym until about 9 then home for tea.
    Granted its not easy.
    If I am on nights then its a little easier.
    At the moment for the next month I am on 2x 0700-1900, 1x 0800-1800, 1x 1700-0100, 1x 1500-0100 and 1x 1300-2100. That doesn't include the 1 hours travelling time and having to work over too.
    Yet I still get to the gym 5 times per week.

Commitment is difficult, but its important to try your best to fit it in, even if you only do half your routine, its better than none.