• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Slow BT Fibre Speed - Puzzled.

DarrylJohn

Basically, the pc which is closer to the router is connected via ethernet, and consistently achieves 74mb+

My PC, in the room next door is plugged in with homeplugs (100mb rated) - I struggle to get 15mb, on those or Wifi (54mb).

My phone, also struggles with getting anything higher than 15.

It's the Homehub 5..

Anyone else experience anything similar? I'd buy a AC USB wifi card - but it's going to be pointless buying it if that's 15mb too.

oh and to add, all services get around 18mb upload.

Greg Hook

Moderator & Reviewer
To eliminate your PC in the other room as the issue, what does it get via ethernet to your HH5?

mickevh

Distinguished Member
You haven't said what ISP link rate you have and I'd presume you're using some kind on Internet speed tester. These aren't the best thing for testing local link rates, NetIO and iPerf are better if you happen to have more than one PC about. Also, be sure to clearly distinguish between "bits" (little "b") and bytes" (big "B") when you are looking at test results.

15mbps (note little "b") looks pretty dreadful even for a HomePlug link. That would suggest you mains wiring is very noisy or there's some issue with your plugs (plugged into a filtered extension lead seems to be the favourite candidate.) There's an FAQ in this forum about diagnosing/optimising HomePlugs. If you use you HomePlug utility thingy, what link rate does it report...?

Wi-fi link rates are a function of both the client and the Access Point (there's an AP built in to your "router") - they have to agree a common rate(s) when they Associate with each other. To figure out what link rate you should be getting you have to check out the capabilities of both devices and see what they have in common, so check those datasheets. It will be pointless buying an AC USB for your PC if your router isn't AC capable. And even then, there's a wide variety of implementation variation in AC (and N) - number of antennas, encoding rates, FEC's etc - which adds a lot of variables. And of course, there's potentially RF issues such as noise, interference from the neighbours, other uses of the airwaves, etc. There's also an FAQ about diagnosing wi-fi issues in this forum.

Switched ethernet is the simplest and most efficient home networking technology. One would expect that to perform best.

Finally, be sure to understand that networking link rates (ever erroneously called "speed") are not a measure of quantity, they are a measure of rate. It's like the speedo in your car - it tells you how fast you are covering the ground (rate) not how many miles (quantity) you are travelling. So you would not expect to test a 100mbps link and transfer 100 million bits in one second.

DarrylJohn

Thanks for that very informative reply. The mains wiring must be very bad, as downstairs laptop achieves the same result. Home plugs are fine for my Vu Solo 2 though, so I'll stick with that.

Decided, I'm just going to drill a hole in the corner of my room and run the Ethernet Cable through! Best way I think!

Thanks for the reply.

mickevh

Distinguished Member
If you run in a new cable, particularly if it's permanently installed (like it get plastered over or the like) I always advocate running 2 (or more) cables so that you have an alternate in situ in the (admittedly extremely rare) event that a cable fails in the future. It's surprising how often finds a use for the "spare" in the future. Standing orders to my sparkies are to "always run two." Cable is cheap compared to the hassle of installing it.

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom