slow broadband speed

Minty

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi,

Currently have a broadband speed of approx 3.10mb.I tested again using engineers line reulting to a speed of approx 14mb. I am told that the max I should receive is 17MB. I have now concluded that the problem lies with either the master socket or the original extension running in the house.
Having decided to tackle as much of it as I can. I have purchased Philex ADSL filter plates for the extensions and a BT openreach master socket. I plan to re run the extensions with standard BT cable (simply because I have some lying around).
The extension from master socket to router run is via the outside of the house, can I still use this method or am I better off using powerline ethernet adapters and possibly moving the router downstairs.?

Any help or advice would be much appreciated.

Minty

Always put the Router into the master socket if you can. you speed is being limited by the extension. If your PC isn't close to the master socket either go wireless or use homplugs but your MOdem/Router should be in the master socket.

The key to this is your Master Socket the extension wiring. (Your test via the test socket proves this.)

Without any expenditure at all, you could simply ensure that ONLY the following wires are connected to the back of the faceplate of the Master Socket and Extensions sockets: Blue & White to Connector 2 and White & Blue to connector 5. NO OTHER WIRES are needed nor should be connected. They are at the root of your problem.

Second, if possible, (as has been said), you should connect the router to tht Master Socket. The DSL signal can pick up noise in domestic premises. So your idea of using powerline adapters (I recommend HomePlugs) is sound.

BTW, you are not allowed to replace BT's Master Socket. If you do so and cause any problems, be prepared for a large bill.

Last edited:
Thanks both for the replies...

The key to this is your Master Socket the extension wiring. (Your test via the test socket proves this.)

Without any expenditure at all, you could simply ensure that ONLY the following wires are connected to the back of the faceplate of the Master Socket and Extensions sockets: Blue & White to Connector 2 and White & Blue to connector 5. NO OTHER WIRES are needed nor should be connected. They are at the root of your problem.

Second, if possible, (as has been said), you should connect the router to tht Master Socket. The DSL signal can pick up noise in domestic premises. So your idea of using powerline adapters (I recommend HomePlugs) is sound.

I had a look at the connections in the master socket, and can confirm that it is only on the 2 and 5 connection. If using the newer Openreach master socket (to be fitted by a qualified electrician cheaper than BT), would I still need the philex filters? I do like the idea of having no dangling filters though.
Possible stupid question, what's the difference between homeplug and powerline adapters? Also will I need an adsl faceplate on the newer master socket in order for the telephone to be connected?

It matters not what qualifications your electrician has, he/she is still not allowed to replace the Master Socket. It is BT's property and only Openreach can replace it. BTW, qualified or not, it has been my experience that some electricians understand telephone wiring and others don't. I have had to fix incorrect wiring done by electricians in the past.

As to your problem, because you have a Test Socket, you already have a modern NTE5 style Master socket and so there is, in fact no need to replace the backplate (and potentially incur the wrath of BT). However I recommend that you replace the faceplate (which you are allowed to do) with a pre-filtered type (with ADSL Socket & Telephone Socket) before you do anything else. PS. You don't need an electrician to do that either.

ADSL circuits always need filtering and, in my opinion, the best way to do it is to use a filtered faceplate on the Master Socket. It is neater and often more efficient.

HomePlugs are a power-line standard. They will interoperate regardless of brand and are incredibly easy to install.

Last edited:
this will teach me to buy sockets first, and ask for advice after...!!! Can I simply swap the front from open reach box onto the original master socket temporarily? I am sure it is extension related more over the master socket. Am I better off re running extension starting from drop line junction box.? Will also check with BT to see how much they will charge.

Last edited:
As to your problem, because you have a Test Socket, you already have a modern NTE5 style Master socket and so there is, in fact no need to replace the backplate (and potentially incur the wrath of BT). However I recommend that you replace the faceplate (which you are allowed to do) with a pre-filtered type (with ADSL Socket & Telephone Socket) before you do anything else. PS. You don't need an electrician to do that either.

Hi BeerHunter,

As per your advice have run the new extensions, and like advised changed the plate on the master socket. All is well now and just waiting for homeplugs and will add those on.

Thanks.

I've recently reconfigured my ADSL and fitted one of these modified BT faceeplates to my NTE5 box and then ran a dedicated spur of the A & B to where my router is (about 20ft away) and terminated this with a new ADSL face plate. The speed is almost identical as when connecting directly to the NTE5 master.

I've recently reconfigured my ADSL and fitted one of these modified BT faceeplates to my NTE5 box and then ran a dedicated spur of the A & B to where my router is (about 20ft away) and terminated this with a new ADSL face plate. The speed is almost identical as when connecting directly to the NTE5 master.

I have ordered mine also, did a speedtest after the rewire and changing of faceplate and got 14mb straight away :thumbsup:

i have installed a few NTE2000 faceplates for friends and family with interesting results :smashin:
But as is said by others in this thread make sure the router is connected directly to that master.

Im an IT engineer so am always being asked about crappy broardband speeds so have done a fair amount of research on this subject.

Its scary some of the crappy diy phone extension installs i seen in peoples homes, someone wanna tell me why we need extensions these days with dect phones

Last edited:
rant time :D

and another thing that gets my goat is when you go in someone house and find a BT socket from the 50s, ask the customer to ring BT and ask for it to be updated and they get told it will cost them a fortune. :mad:
and we are not allowed to touch it, its there resposibily to look after the line up to the master :mad:

and we pay line rental for that :facepalm:

:rotfl: sorry annoys me

i have installed a few NTE2000 faceplates for friends and family with interesting results :smashin:
But as is said by others in this thread make sure the router is connected directly to that master.

Im an IT engineer so am always being asked about crappy broardband speeds so have done a fair amount of research on this subject.

I am waiting on some homeplugs to enable me to connect directly to master socket..speedtest.net today is only showing 5.7:mad: Is it possoible just to run rj45 all the way into pc?

Last edited:
i would suggest leaving the router by the BT master and running cat5e back to the pc and connect up a switch to give you spare connections.
Minty how far from the exchange are you???

Last edited:
i would suggest leaving the router by the BT master and running cat5e back to the pc and connect up a switch to give you spare connections.
Minty how far from the exchange are you???

The extension will have to be run externally, will that cause any probs with cat5e? Would it not be the same with the homeplugs? I am no more than a mile away from the exchange.
Could it be the router??

Last edited:
add the nte2000 faceplate and run the cable external im sure it will be fine.

i have had cable outside for donkies and its been fine :smashin:

oh and rip oout them extensions and stick a dect phone next to the router :devil:

Last edited:
add the nte2000 faceplate and run the cable external im sure it will be fine.

TBH, not really clued up as how to run cat5e cable, are there any additional connections to be made? I only know the basic 2,5 BT standard.

Last edited:
Get a couple of single or double cat5e or cat6 faceplates online, mount them at point at point A and B and connect them together then use patch cables to the router and your PC.
there are plenty of guides online :smashin:
once you get the hang of it theres no stopping you :devil:

Get a couple of single or double cat5e or cat6 faceplates online, mount them at point at point A and B and connect them together then use patch cables to the router and your PC.
there are plenty of guides online :smashin:
once you get the hang of it theres no stopping you :devil:

Think I'll wait until the homeplugs arrive (paid for already) and then who knows could be coming after your job:devil:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom