Slow broadband since sky+ install

Chris_J_0907

Novice Member
Hi all,

I had Sky+ installed yesterday, and since it has been plugged up my BB has gone pretty slow.

I was downloading Torrents at the time and getting about 90k/s now I'm lucky if I get 15k/s. They just unplugged the microfilter out of the wall and plugged their mockup 2 port RJ11 socket in. I've now plugged it all back in through the microfilter, but miffed it's going so slow.

Is it just coincidence or could this have caused my slow down?

wormvortex

Distinguished Member
broadband comes down the phone line, sky comes down the dish. It be like saying my water pressure is lower when i've got all the lights in the house on.

Chris_J_0907

Novice Member
It still pugs into the phone line though doesn't it. I thought there may have been interference or a possibility they have clipped my phone cable.

FRANTIC FRANC

Novice Member
broadband comes down the phone line, sky comes down the dish. It be like saying my water pressure is lower when i've got all the lights in the house on.
Yeah that is a pretty dumb post. If the Sky box has a faulty modem it can indeed interfere with the broadband. Not only that but if the extension lead to the Sky box is faulty it will cause noise down the line too.

Try simply unpluging the modem lead to the Sky box and see if the speed is back to normal. If not unplug the extension lead to the digibox from the telephone socket.

Also try a diffrent broadband filter to the digibox (must be before the modem lead).

Cheers, Franc

Chris_J_0907

Novice Member
Turns out it was just coincidence. I called my ISP, who said there was a drop on the line a few days ago. He mentioned something about BT software on the exchange restarting every 3 days, and that could have caused the BT software to set my line to a lower speed. I was told give it a few days as I've connected at 8mb the last few days and I should be ok by Tuesday at the latest.

I know my original post seemed a bit daft at first, but I was getting excellent download speeds yesterday morning, and then in the afternoon it was real slow. So it was just coincidence.

Franc, my post on another thread a few days ago about sky dish cable going over the roof, it wasn't a personal dig at you (sorry if it appeared that way) it was just a general observation, and thank you for the explanation :thumbsup:

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: CES 2021 Special - Sony, LG, Panasonic, Samsung, TCL and Hisense TV news and more...
Top Bottom