Slow Broadband - 8mb down to 0.5!

gdmefc

Standard Member
Hi,

My BT Broadband speed has recently dropped down to 0.5mb from 8(ish)mb. When I download, it maxes at 59kbs where before it would be 800kbs. Phoned BT support etc and an engineer has been out and stuck his laptop into the socket and he says it gets a reading of 7.6mb so they're sending me a new hub to see if that helps. Just before the speed dropped I installed a wireless lexmark printer - could this have anything to do with it? I've uninstalled the printer and reset the hub back to factory settings and still no joy. Am I in need of a new hub or are there any other suggestions?

Thanks!

gdmefc

Standard Member
That page won't load for me now!. I've tried both Firefox and IE and made sure my Java is up to date - it just has a little red x in the box at the top of the screen and says "Loading Java Applet Failed" in the bottom left of the screen. When I managed to get it working a couple of weeks ago for the BT tech guys it managed to get to 96% then would always fail for some reason (something about being denied...)

Thanks.

beerhunter

Distinguished Member
That being the case you may just need to watch it as it goes through the tests. (It isn't very stable in my opinion.)

It sounds like an 'event' on your line has caused your IP Profile to drop.

With a Line Rate of 7.6 Mb/s your IP Profile (a speed limit set on your line for stability's sake) should be 6500 kb/s with Throughput just a little lower.

The best online tester that I have found for testing your Throughput number (other than BT's) is Speedtest.net - The Global Broadband Speed Test

gdmefc

Standard Member
Thanks for the help.

I've tried Speedtest.net - the results are as follows....

Download: 488kbs
Upload: 378kbs
Ping: 46ms

Hope this helps.

accyuklad

Banned
have you put your adsl line in the test socket to see if the ip profile goes back upto speed if not put it in the test socket and leave it for about 1hour and see if the speed as gone up abit more faster

i had same problem gettin a 56k speed and when i put in test socket for 1hour it went back up i still using test socket as i not paying for wiring to be fixed in the house

beerhunter

Distinguished Member
have you put your adsl line in the test socket to see if the ip profile goes back upto speed if not put it in the test socket and leave it for about 1hour and see if the speed as gone up abit more faster

i had same problem gettin a 56k speed and when i put in test socket for 1hour it went back up i still using test socket as i not paying for wiring to be fixed in the house

Forgive the correction but an IP Profile will not rise that quickly.

If you plug a router/modem in the Test Socket and you see a rise in Line Rate (Speed) that it means that there is a problem with the Internal wiring. If that is the case then by rebooting the router.modem you should see an instant increase in Line Rate but Throughput will not increase because it will take the BT kit three days to raise the IP Profile.

It is not difficult to fix internal wiring. Just ensure that ONLY the following wires are connected to the back of the Master Socket's Faceplate: Blue & White to 2 and White an Blue to 5. NO other wires should connected. When you have done that try the router/modem in the faceplate; the Line Rate should be the same within a few bp/s

beerhunter

Distinguished Member
Thanks for the help.

I've tried Speedtest.net - the results are as follows....

Download: 488kbs
Upload: 378kbs
Ping: 46ms
That's a pity but that app is a pile of do do.

That Throughput is appalling for your Line Rate. I don't see a new HH helping at all. However if that speed from speedtest .net does not improve in three days you'll need to call the Muppets in India again. Good Luck!

gdmefc

Standard Member
Right then: Plugged the HH into the the test socket at 9am and nothing.... About 2pm a new HH is delivered - set it up and i'ts getting back up to full speed. Not sure if it's the test socket or the new HH but either way, looks like the problem might be solved....

Went on speedtest.net:

Download: 5408 kbs
Upload: 377kbs

Thanks for all your help!

OFI

Are you sure your download speed wasn't being restricted?

I've just had a restriction put on mine for downloading too much at peak times and it did exactly as you have described. HH connects at the right speed but my download speeds have dropped from 7.7MBps to 0.5MBps. It could just be coincidence that the restriction came off whilst you changed to your new setup.

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom