Slow bootup times on new build

j0n35y

Standard Member
Hi, just built a new computer and it doesnt seem as fast as i thought it would be. Especially on bootup.

Its an AMD Phenom x6 1055T, Asus M4A89GTD-PRO/USB3, 8GB Kingston DDR3, 1TB Samsung F3, win7 ultimate x64. Built in gpu and spu.

It takes around 70 secs to boot, spending almost 30 secs on the windows splash logo screen. Ive tweaked a few settings in msconfig, turned off a few programs from booting and turned on the 6 cores to boot but it made no difference.

Any ideas, or is this normal? Its a fresh install and ive only installed itunes and microsoft security essentials so far.

Thanks​

rorackowe

It could be because you have so much memory. Windows vista and 7 contain superfetch. In effect what it does is looks at how you use your PC and preloads the programs you are most likely to need at bootup so they will subsequently load faster. It makes windows more responsive (apparently).

My PC has less memory so takes less time to boot 40s maybe? 70s is pretty slow... that said I only restart my PC once a month, I tend to use "sleep" as it generally wakes in a few seconds.

j0n35y

Standard Member
Hi Rorackowe, ive removed 4gb of the memory and it made no difference. I turned the superfetch option off and that also made no difference. TBH the system as a whole seems sluggish to me, maybe i should install win7 home instead of this ultimate crap ive got. Ive benchmarked my drive and all results seem normal, whats the best way to benchmark processor and memory speed?

Allan

morrig

I have a i5/760 with 4gig and the same drive as yours with Win7U'e 64,and it takes 30 seconds to sign in,then just over 5 to desktop,and less than 5 to get Firefox running,my old Dell took over 3 minutes to get any thing to work.So yours should be as quick as mine,it's not Ultimate that's your problem.As you have not installed much try re-installing on reformatted disk,check that your Drivers are up to date,and in bios use optimized defaults.
Try CPU-Z to check out your hardware- CPUID - System & hardware benchmark, monitoring, reporting.

rorackowe

With the CPU I use CPU-z to see that it is running at the correct frequency, check core performance with superpi 2M (or more) and compare to a similar processor and look at task manager and see that CPU utilisation is not always high. Generally my quad cores run 2-7% with normal use.

EndlessWaves

Distinguished Member
70 seconds doesn't sound excessive, are you measuring from hitting the power button to all startup apps loaded?

Also, windows will automatically use all cores all the time so I guess you've actually used a troubleshooting setting to restrict the number of cores used to 6, was it that one in MSConfig?

j0n35y

Standard Member
Im measuring from the beep at post to the windows startup chime. I did some more benchmarks with Novabench and got 785 which seems ok for my system without a decent gpu. I have turned off the force 6 cores in msconfig and its the same, have rest bios settings to standard and have all the latest drivers installed. I have cpu-z installed already but the info doesnt really mean much to me. Might just be something i have to live with :(

morrig

Im measuring from the beep at post to the windows startup chime. I did some more benchmarks with Novabench and got 785 which seems ok for my system without a decent gpu. I have turned off the force 6 cores in msconfig and its the same, have rest bios settings to standard and have all the latest drivers installed. I have cpu-z installed already but the info doesnt really mean much to me. Might just be something i have to live with :(
This may seem obvious ,but have you tried the Windows Troubleshooter for problems,"System and Security" check for performance issues?
Here's some images of CPU-Z.

Just found a tool for time to desktop- BootRacer - Test your Windows boot speed
here's my results,deduct a few more seconds because I am dual booting.

Attachments

Last edited:

j0n35y

Standard Member
Hi, ive scanned the system with malwarebytes and spybot and have all the latest def and updates.

I downloaded that program bootracer and its pretty cool. With hardly anything running at start up, itunes, amd programs and microsoft security turned off it boots in around 58 secs, with everything normal it boots in 65 secs.

Funny thing is my netbook which is just a standard intel atom with 2gb ram running xp sp3 boots in 34 secs!!!

Next step is gonna be format and reinstall win7.

Allan

morrig

Hi, ive scanned the system with malwarebytes and spybot and have all the latest def and updates.

I downloaded that program bootracer and its pretty cool. With hardly anything running at start up, itunes, amd programs and microsoft security turned off it boots in around 58 secs, with everything normal it boots in 65 secs.

Funny thing is my netbook which is just a standard intel atom with 2gb ram running xp sp3 boots in 34 secs!!!

Next step is gonna be format and reinstall win7.

Allan
Allen , I ran Bootracer some time ago with my old dell and it took well over 3 minutes,even though I was getting to desktop in just over 60 seconds ,with Win 7.This is because even though Win 7 is very efficient it still takes a long time for all the Services to load.But with a good modern system like yours it should be about 30 seconds.
If you have good sound hardware and no virus,re-install a good disk of Win7,it should then be as speedy as a gazelle,and much better than XP.
Good Luck.:hiya:

Top Bottom