• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Slow boot with HDMI and Optical?

Otaku Punk

I'm a little confused as i'm trying to get HDMI and Optical out from my 360 and it seems to have caused it to boot inordinately slow. With just HDMI or component it boots very fast, about 5 secs to dash. With HDMI and the 3rd party AV lead with optical out on it takes much, much longer, a good 20 or 30 seconds. I'm thinking it might be an issue with the 360 deciding which video output to use, if so is there anyway to modify my AV lead to solve this? I tried removing the wire between the ground and "use VGA" pins, but this stops the optical output from working.:confused:

On a side note, with the AV cable connected my display settings now offers me PC resolutions, instead of the usual 720p, 1080i, 1080p i get with just HDMI or just component. Thanks for any help!:lease:

Indiana Jones

Distinguished Member
What 3rd party lead is it?

HardkorePrawn

If you are using a normal AV cable and the HDMI, it will cause issues.
You need the audio dongle (which comes with the Elite, but, not other HDMI 360's), or a properly modified AV cable.

Otaku Punk

What 3rd party lead is it?

Its a switchable RGB SCART/S-video lead. I've tried the switch in both positions with no luk.

You need the audio dongle (which comes with the Elite, but, not other HDMI 360's), or a properly modified AV cable.

Any ideas how to properly modify my AV cable? I would try and track down the audio dongle, but last time i called up microsoft trying to buy one they told me it didnt exist, and it was third parties putting them in elite boxes! :confused:

Intya

The audio dongle is now sold by Microsoft as part of the "HDMI Cable" kit for £34.99 RRP. Gets you the dongle & a decent-ish MS branded HDMI cable. Seen them in PCWorld, but I bought mine from Gamestation.

Indiana Jones

Distinguished Member
Try this forum for the Dongle, I sold mine and an HDMI cable for £22 only last week.

kismet110

Sorry, what do you mean by 'normal' AV cable?

Similarly, when you say "properly modified" AV Cable do you mean an HD AV Cable with the plastic casing removed?

I ask because I've just ordered a cheapo VGA for the optical out functionality (missed out on two Audio Dongles here) and don't fancy paying out £35 for the kit but might send the VGA straight back if there are issues using it :(

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom