1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Slot Loading DVD writer

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by richjthorpe, May 16, 2005.

1. richjthorpe

richjthorpe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Hi all,

I've got an idea to place a slot loading DVD writer drive behind a veneered piece of wood in a cabinet with a hole cut for the DVD to slide through. So what I'm looking for is a slot loading DVD writer that also has an eject button that can be taken out and mounted on the wood or is able to take a signal from a button to make the DVD eject.

Or is there any other suggestions on how to achieve something like this ?

Thanks,

Richie.

2. Werner

Werner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I dont knwo of any drives with a "remote" eject button, but you can do an eject in software (right click the drive, select "eject") however this is a bit of a poor solution.

A better way to do it is to make an eject button out of wood which presses on the original eject button.

1) mill a recess in the rear of your front panel to accomodate the drive as close to the outside as youd are (about 5-10mm of wood left should do it) because the drive will only spit the disc out so far, and you have to be able to grab it easily to place a new disc in. If the drive is too far back, you will have trouble removing the discs once the drive has ejected.
    2) drill a small hole in the milled recess where the eject button would be.
    3) "create" an eject button out of wood, similar in shape to a tophat. The skinny part goes through the recess to the outside world, the fat part pushes onto the eject button of the drive itself.
    4) When you mount the drive, slide it towards the front panel so that it jsut contacts the wooden eject button. This way, the "click" of the original button will transfer to the wooden button, and it will also stop the button from falling into the case

I hope I epxlained this ok...I have done something exactly like this in metal before and it works fantastic. In wood, you may have to apply something (lubricant/wax) to the tophat eject button to enable it to slide smoothly in and out the required 2mm to make the eject button actuate, and then enable the eject button to push your tophat back to the original position. If you use hardwood, it should go easier.

3. richjthorpe

richjthorpe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Thanks for that Werner. That was one idea I thought of but also wanted the button to be central. Oh well, can't have everything I suppose !

Can you suggest a slot load DVD writer ?

Cheers,

Richie.

4. Skunkpipe

Skunkpipe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Panasonic UJ-845 will do the job nicely (dual layer etc..) - should cost you about £80-90
    I might have a couple of UJ 815's lying around (2x single layer)

5. Werner

Werner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I cant think of a desktop drive like that right now, I know of many laptop drives (matsh*ta 815b and up) which use slot loading.

Regardign a central button, if youa re feeling adventurous there is nothing stopping you from moving the button somewhere else, electrically speaking. Just attach two wires to the existing button, run them to where you want and stick a switch on it

6. richjthorpe

richjthorpe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Hehehe, I'd have to be adventurous if I wanted to rip open a rand new £90 drive !

Thanks for the Model Codes u-SM, I'll take a peek.

Cheers,

Richie.

7. Skunkpipe

Skunkpipe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  8. richjthorpe

richjthorpe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Dammit ! Have hardly got enough to last to the end of the month nevermind buying a new DVD writer. Was thinking about next month though.

What are the 815s like ? Do I really need a dual layer ? It'd be just to back up films recorded on the PVR and play DVD.

Also, could I crack it open easily enough to do the mod Werner suggested of getting to the eject cables ? Can it be done by removing the facia ?

Thanks,

Richie.

9. Skunkpipe

Skunkpipe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    They're easy to crack open.
    Dual layer is +R only - do you need it? depends if you're backing up any DVD's
    815, 825 and 845 are physically identical - the fascia will fall off the front with no problem. FWIR the botton mod should be easy - will need to have a look at one when I get home to see how easy it is to crack open a case.

From what I remember without digging out the specs you have:
    815 is upto 2x single layer +/- RW + DVDRAM
    825 is upto 4x single layer +/- RW + DVDRAM
    845 is 8x dual layer +/- RW + DVDRAM

10. Skunkpipe

Skunkpipe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  11. Skunkpipe

Skunkpipe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    815 spec
    http://www.elegantshopping.com/panasonic/uj815slot.pdf#search='uj%20815'

One thing I'll say about these drives is that they can be very picky about the media used (especially cheaper blanks); although I get good results with datawrite REd/yellow