• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

slot-loading blu-ray player - will it scratch DVDs?

tikken

Standard Member
I am looking at the Samsung BD-D6500 Blu-Ray player, which has a slot-loading suction system like a car cd player instead of a tray, and I'm concerned with it possibly scratching dvd discs. Is this a concern? I know some car cd players have been known to scratch cds, and I have read in the past that some DVD players with slot-loading mechanisms would have trouble with dual-sided dvd discs because they were slightly thicker and would get stuck. Ever since I've read that I have avoided these slot-loading players

Does anybody here have any experience with this model? It seems to be a popular model - how well does it load dual-sided discs, and does it leave any scratches on DVDs? I know Blu-Rays are resistant to scratches, but DVDs are not.

skk3

Try Googling for some user reviews of the machine...?

tikken

Standard Member
Well I've been doing that for over 2 hours - I can't find anybody even mentioning how well the disc load system works - good or bad. Everybody just talks about the apps and disc playback. I want to know if I can trust the slot-loading mechanism to not eat or scratch my discs, and nobody talks about that.

Last edited:

Sonic67

Banned
All PS3's have a slot. Never heard of it being a problem.

tikken

Standard Member
Well that's interesting to hear. I didn't think about the PS3s. That's true - I'm sure I would have heard something about that being a problem by now if the PS3s were scuffing discs.

I was concerned about how Samsung has implemented the feature - you would think they would test for dual-sided discs, etc - but then again, sometimes it's surprising what manufacturers can overlook (like I mentioned in my first post, how some old DVD slot-loaders would jam up on DVD-9 discs.

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom