Sllight tangent: Inkjet Printer inks - official or compatible?

Discussion in 'Photography Forums' started by theo cupier, Jun 10, 2008.

1. theo cupier

theo cupier

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +113
    Just coming around (yet again) to needing to replace the ink cartridges in my Canon Pixma iP5200 printer. I use it for general "home office" printing as well as photo printing and a thirsty beast it seems to be as well (although I'm sure we all think that about our printers).

Anyway, my question is whether I'm being a mug in buying the "proper" Canon CLI-8 cartridges at about £9 each or whether there really is a difference in print quality over the "compatible" cartridges which are about £3-4 each.

2. mjcairney

mjcairney

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,006
    I have a Canon MP750 and used to use compatible inks until the printhead became clogged up so bad that, no matter how often I tried cleaning it, it was useless.

This forced me to either buy a new printer or a new printhead - this decision was easy as I really like(d) the printer, so got the new printhead. Since that happened, I have always used Canon inks and never had a repeat of the problem.

Cheers,

Martin.

3. Artie Fufkin

Artie Fufkin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +181
    I used compatible for my Brother printer some time ago. Like mjcairney, I am convinced that this was the cause of it becoming blocked beyond repair. So I now use only original.

Having said that, my son has a £25 printer in his room and I buy him compatible at a quarter of the cost of originals...if it clogs, then I've still saved money over a short time.

4. Burtx

Burtx
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I agree.
    Generally the cheaper inks will clog the printheads and at least lead to poor quality if not permanantly clogged heads.

5. Gow87

Gow87

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    I've seen them work fine in epson machines for years but canon seem to be more picky. this could be due to the different methods of apyling the ink. I know canon use their "bubblejet" technology and epson use pizoelectric technology. as i understand it one is thermal one is electrical. Also canon generally use dye based inks and epson generally use pigment based. this may have some baring.. in my experience canons block easily. epsons dont seem to.

6. jonnypb

jonnypb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +559
    I use to have a canon photo printer but the heads got blocked even though I used canon originals so I ditched it

I bought an epson 830U a few years back and have used the jettec compatible cartridges. Never had a problem with them and are just as good as the originals yet a fraction of the cost.

Rarely use a colour printer now in fact it's sitting in a cuboard now but I used it a few weeks ago and even though it had sat with the inks for months without use it printed fine

7. tomson

tomson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +186
    I use compatible ones in my Canon - always have done - I'm yet to have a problem*.

* by saying this I'm probably tempting fate... it'll no doubt grind to a halt next time I use it. Sigh.

8. theo cupier

theo cupier

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +113
    I did try some of the home refil kits from Tesco, but can't be bothered drilling through the cases and all the mess with the syringes, etc anymore.

Also, I think the ink was noticeably different in colour from the DTP stuff I printed, so I never trusted it to print a photo.

I've got some black "compatible" cartridges for text printing which seem OK. I was partly wondering whether anyone had experienced issues with compatible cartridges in terms either of the colour match or longevity (colour fastness), compared to the genuine cartridges.

If the cost is justified because the chromalife inks really do last longer than the unbranded stuff then it's worth sticking with. Having the ink management process handled by the computer telling me I'm out of ink is all well and good, but probably not worth £6 per cartridge on its own.

9. Steve N

Steve N
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,291
    What ones do you use please.
    I bought Jet Tec for my Canon i990 and all my prints have a slight magenta tint to them.
    I brought three set and used one set just head cleaning and trying to re-cabibrate.

I'm out of some inks so would value any recommendations.

10. tomson

tomson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +186
    The last lot were from 7dayshop - probably as cheap as they come.