Slipcovers please explain

slip covers generally annoy me w/ their pointlessness. i do however like my Monsters one w/ the lenticular art. if you're doing one, make it different, or don't bother.

I’m not fussed but some are lovely. Take King of New York for instance. Lovely velvety slip. Others have nice embossing.

most are just plain and I couldn’t care less though

A yes & no here,some slipcover really do look great,but some not so,the other thing is if i want to move an disc on, everybody always seem to ask,"Does it come with slipcover",if it has you usually get a better price & quicker sale.

:)

I have got a love/hate feeling towards them. I like how they make a case look better on the shelf but do wish they were never invented. All my Star Trek, Star Wars, Marvel X-Men, DC Universe have slips. It has made me buy new blu rays on release day just to ensure I get a slip when they add a film to each series. I normally would wait until a blu rays is £6 - £7. Another thing I hate is they sometimes change the format/position on the spines so nothing lines up. This can also affect the case covers.

I sold all my Disney slipcovers (Disney call them O-Rings) as I had some Disney titles with no slip even when bought on release. Some people were prepared to pay £15+ for rare ones just to complete their collection. Most were sold for £5 each.

I also like slipboxes as they look like slipcovers from the front. My separate supernatural seasons has them but they never did them for the first 2 seasons. As a result, I had to remove the slipboxes as it just looks odd.

I never got into steelbooks and have just 4 - Star trek II, Highlander, Terminator, I, Robot. I always have problems getting the discs out.

Last edited:
I just throw 'em in the bin. The recycling bin obviously.

Hang on though, maybe that's wrong because slipcovers are a bit shiny and we got a note from the council before christmas saying not to put shiny wrapping paper in the recycling bin.
Looks like we likely to find some AV fanatics dumpster diving soon.

I have a love hate relationship with them. I love how they look but hate it when they arrive damaged, and have been known to order replacements lol.

I personally can't stand slipcovers and have never seen the need for them. For me it's all about the disc content. I usually bin them but I have flogged a few on eBay as some people were desperate for the Marvel ones. Don't care much for steel books as they scratch easily and usually cost a few quid more.But I am a collector of things so I do understand why some like them just not for me.

I watched. "How to make and Print a Custom Blu-ray Slipcover Tutorial" and its recommended to have a cover for your slip cover.

I personally don't like them, by the time they've been picked and packed in a warehouse and arrive through the post theres always some form of wear and tear. Plus a few times of pulling them from a shelf and they start to get shelf rash anyway so i end up throwing them away. I'd rather the distributors knocked £2 off the price of a disc and ship without one.

Personally I love Slipcovers, and spend time searching ebay to track down covers I need, and inspect covers when purchase from shops. If anyone is looking to sell their covers, please message me as currently looking for Deadpool 2, Halloween (2018) and Skyscraper 4K slips

having just got a ltd edn of Young Master, it prompted another offshoot of slipcovers that are even more pointless/annoying - those dammed "J" covers, i think they're called. nothing but a skanky pointless bit of paper that curls under the box and it sellotaped to the front. seriously, the the **** thought they were a good idea??

back to slips, i think i'd like them more if they were different, as per the lenticular mentioned above, or had different art, or just something quirky - like my copy of Major League which has astroturf on the front :-D

having just got a ltd edn of Young Master, it prompted another offshoot of slipcovers that are even more pointless/annoying - those dammed "J" covers, i think they're called. nothing but a skanky pointless bit of paper that curls under the box and it sellotaped to the front. seriously, the the **** thought they were a good idea??

back to slips, i think i'd like them more if they were different, as per the lenticular mentioned above, or had different art, or just something quirky - like my copy of Major League which has astroturf on the front :-D
Oh yes the J covers, totally agree they are pointless. i've seen a Lenticular Jaws on ebay this morning, the seller wants £85. Steep or will they be that collectible in years to come 🤷‍♂️

I've bought a couple of mediabooks and steelbooks in the recent months and was wondering what to do with the paper sleeves, which are wrapped around the case, that contain rating and movie info? Do you have any preferred method of properly attaching it to the case or do you rather store it separately?
Example (timestamp: 1:15):

I've bought a couple of mediabooks and steelbooks in the recent months and was wondering what to do with the paper sleeves, which are wrapped around the case, that contain rating and movie info? Do you have any preferred method of properly attaching it to the case or do you rather store it separately?
Example (timestamp: 1:15):

I store separately. Like slips. And only for possible re-sale value but usually the paper covers don’t come off if glued very well.

I went down the rabbit hole of slipcover collecting and steelbooks many years ago and would buy films just for the slip or because it was a steelbook.

It was actually this forum that got me into steelbooks, someone had the Canadian Pirates of the Caribbean steelbooks for sale and instantly I was hooked 😂🙄

Now I bin most slipcovers and don't really care if there's one when I buy a movie.

I'd often buy films I didn't like because it was a steelbook.

It even got to the point where I'd buy the steelbook but keep it sealed and buy an amaray to watch which needed a slipcover 😂😂

Then it was two steelbooks, one I could open and one I'd keep sealed.

I was in a very well paid job and had far too much money to waste and often got bored with collecting, I don't drink or smoke so felt I may as well spend extra income on movies.

Sold my collection twice and currently in the process of kind of selling for a third time, but still have around 1500 steelbooks that'll never see the light of day. Occasionally I'll trade some in at the local CEX but only when prices are good enough.

Since moving 90% of what collection I have left remains in boxes much to the annoyance of my wife.

I did have a purge and take several boxes of slipcovers and J cards for the steelbooks to the recycling centre when I moved.

Now I buy movies on digital so tend to not have the issue of buying for the sake of it being in a steelbook or having a slipcover although I do tend to find myself buying a film as it's on offer that I'll probably never watch 🤷🤷

I remember there was one forum member who had a complete collection of UK films with slipcovers, not sure if he sold up in the end

I think it was @barney007

Hey buddy @YNWA1892

I did in deed had the full collection back in the day.

I still got 1000s in plastic bags lol

Was a dangerous and timely game trying to find people who could get them

Hey buddy @YNWA1892

I did in deed had the full collection back in the day.

I still got 1000s in plastic bags lol

Was a dangerous and timely game trying to find people who could get them
That would have been some collection you had :)

Some of the prices were silly, Taken and Batman begins went for big money back in the day and I can't believe people used to pay it for a piece of cardboard 😂😂

Hope all is well :)

I made a lot of money back them from them.

i remember selling taken on ebay for £50 a go, i had endless supplies of them. Everyone in the USA wanted them, also Jennifer's body.

Dream girls usa version , beetle juice Canadian.

I must still have 2000 -3000 in pristine condition still stored in a box.

don't.jpg

-- As an eBay Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases --

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom