Slipcovers please explain

Bippu

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi, there seems to be an obsession about Blu-ray slip covers. What’s the deal with this ?
Arent the slip covers exactly the same artwork as the case covers ?
Makes me feel like I need slip covers there’s even diy slip covers.

I have often wondered too what is the point and the obsession people have with them? I’d rather pay less and not have them at all.

Overpackaging :- Bad for the environment!

Mixed material discs and plastic cases on the other hand...??? :rolleyes:

Just another one of those "collectible" addictions that some people are really into and I include myself in that statement, for a while I wouldn't purchase a title if it didn't have the slipcover and spent a lot of money to cobble together a Disney collection then the bug just stopped and I no longer cared but then last year it kicked in again when the Star Wars films were released on UHD and I just had to have a complete matching collection.

I never got into the whole steelbook thing, its just another case but one that is more susceptible to damage but again for some it has too be a steelbook or they won't buy it and some will even buy downright awful films because it comes in a nice case.

Just another one of those "collectible" addictions that some people are really into and I include myself in that statement, for a while I wouldn't purchase a title if it didn't have the slipcover and spent a lot of money to cobble together a Disney collection then the bug just stopped and I no longer cared but then last year it kicked in again when the Star Wars films were released on UHD and I just had to have a complete matching collection.

I never got into the whole steelbook thing, its just another case but one that is more susceptible to damage but again for some it has too be a steelbook or they won't buy it and some will even buy downright awful films because it comes in a nice case.
I was wondering about steel books. I always assumed you had additional art or something in them

Hi, there seems to be an obsession about Blu-ray slip covers. What’s the deal with this ?
Arent the slip covers exactly the same artwork as the case covers ?
Makes me feel like I need slip covers there’s even diy slip covers.

Obsession is a strong word but I certainly prefer a slipcover than not having one. For me, I just prefer paper to plastic from an aesthetic/feel point of view. Like books. Innit.

I was wondering about steel books. I always assumed you had additional art or something in them
Sure they come with different artwork but sometimes its not an improvement and like I said some will buy films they absolutely hate just because they like the steelbook but there is no logic behind collecting, hell some people buy two copies of each film so one can stay sealed on the shelf.

Obsession is a strong word but I certainly prefer a slipcover than not having one. For me, I just prefer paper to plastic from an aesthetic/feel point of view. Like books. Innit.

Yeh. I've got 60 or so 4K discs on the shelf. Mixture of SB, case, case with slip etc.

Much prefer the aesthetic appearance of the ones with a Slip cover. I'd like to get rid of my non slip cover discs and only get Slipcover/Steelbooks from now on :D:blush:

I can't have the fat UK cases either. Must have the slim US ones. :rolleyes::facepalm:

I didn’t even know there were 2 types

Yeh. I've got 60 or so 4K discs on the shelf. Mixture of SB, case, case with slip etc.

Much prefer the aesthetic appearance of the ones with a Slip cover. I'd like to get rid of my non slip cover discs and only get Slipcover/Steelbooks from now on :D:blush:

I can't have the fat UK cases either. Must have the slim US ones. :rolleyes::facepalm:

I only have a couple without slips. I have trained my eyes to ignore them..

Although not completely obsessed I will admit to having picked the US releases of District 9 and Whiplash as the UK releases were slipless.

There will be no case shaming here please.

Perhaps I should say larger cases. Or those UK Obese ones :D

Is this the self-help group for Slipcovers Anonymous?

The first step to recovery is admitting an addiction: For me, it started with just the Disney slipcovers, but one was never enough, I found myself needing more and more. Before I knew it I was hooked, I was paying silly prices on ebay for rare and OOP slips. Then it led to the harder stuff...

Digibooks!!

black mirror crying GIF

Slipcovers please explain

If they're really special or lenticular I'll keep them otherwise straight in the bin.

Is this the self-help group for Slipcovers Anonymous?

The first step to recovery is admitting an addiction: For me, it started with just the Disney slipcovers, but one was never enough, I found myself needing more and more. Before I knew it I was hooked, I was paying silly prices on ebay for rare and OOP slips. Then it led to the harder stuff...

Digibooks!!

black mirror crying GIF

01D14079-8240-40AB-BC33-72F6208787FA.jpeg

If only I'd listened to Zammo.

I managed to avoid the black hole that is digibook collecting but did pick up a serious crack habit. Swings and roundabouts...

Slipcovers are nothing but extra protection , sleeve covers is where it's at now :).

I just throw 'em in the bin. The recycling bin obviously.

Hang on though, maybe that's wrong because slipcovers are a bit shiny and we got a note from the council before christmas saying not to put shiny wrapping paper in the recycling bin.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom