Slipcovers please explain

wolfie138

slip covers generally annoy me w/ their pointlessness. i do however like my Monsters one w/ the lenticular art. if you're doing one, make it different, or don't bother.

featherhall

Distinguished Member
I’m not fussed but some are lovely. Take King of New York for instance. Lovely velvety slip. Others have nice embossing.

most are just plain and I couldn’t care less though

nwgarratt

I have got a love/hate feeling towards them. I like how they make a case look better on the shelf but do wish they were never invented. All my Star Trek, Star Wars, Marvel X-Men, DC Universe have slips. It has made me buy new blu rays on release day just to ensure I get a slip when they add a film to each series. I normally would wait until a blu rays is £6 - £7. Another thing I hate is they sometimes change the format/position on the spines so nothing lines up. This can also affect the case covers.

I sold all my Disney slipcovers (Disney call them O-Rings) as I had some Disney titles with no slip even when bought on release. Some people were prepared to pay £15+ for rare ones just to complete their collection. Most were sold for £5 each.

I also like slipboxes as they look like slipcovers from the front. My separate supernatural seasons has them but they never did them for the first 2 seasons. As a result, I had to remove the slipboxes as it just looks odd.

I never got into steelbooks and have just 4 - Star trek II, Highlander, Terminator, I, Robot. I always have problems getting the discs out.

Last edited:

Bippu

I just throw 'em in the bin. The recycling bin obviously.

Hang on though, maybe that's wrong because slipcovers are a bit shiny and we got a note from the council before christmas saying not to put shiny wrapping paper in the recycling bin.
Looks like we likely to find some AV fanatics dumpster diving soon.

Evokazz

I have a love hate relationship with them. I love how they look but hate it when they arrive damaged, and have been known to order replacements lol.

Adam76

Standard Member
I personally can't stand slipcovers and have never seen the need for them. For me it's all about the disc content. I usually bin them but I have flogged a few on eBay as some people were desperate for the Marvel ones. Don't care much for steel books as they scratch easily and usually cost a few quid more.But I am a collector of things so I do understand why some like them just not for me.

Bippu

I watched. "How to make and Print a Custom Blu-ray Slipcover Tutorial" and its recommended to have a cover for your slip cover.

The Uzi 9mm

Standard Member
I personally don't like them, by the time they've been picked and packed in a warehouse and arrive through the post theres always some form of wear and tear. Plus a few times of pulling them from a shelf and they start to get shelf rash anyway so i end up throwing them away. I'd rather the distributors knocked £2 off the price of a disc and ship without one.

Buckster666

Personally I love Slipcovers, and spend time searching ebay to track down covers I need, and inspect covers when purchase from shops. If anyone is looking to sell their covers, please message me as currently looking for Deadpool 2, Halloween (2018) and Skyscraper 4K slips

wolfie138

having just got a ltd edn of Young Master, it prompted another offshoot of slipcovers that are even more pointless/annoying - those dammed "J" covers, i think they're called. nothing but a skanky pointless bit of paper that curls under the box and it sellotaped to the front. seriously, the the **** thought they were a good idea??

back to slips, i think i'd like them more if they were different, as per the lenticular mentioned above, or had different art, or just something quirky - like my copy of Major League which has astroturf on the front :-D

The Uzi 9mm

Standard Member
having just got a ltd edn of Young Master, it prompted another offshoot of slipcovers that are even more pointless/annoying - those dammed "J" covers, i think they're called. nothing but a skanky pointless bit of paper that curls under the box and it sellotaped to the front. seriously, the the **** thought they were a good idea??

back to slips, i think i'd like them more if they were different, as per the lenticular mentioned above, or had different art, or just something quirky - like my copy of Major League which has astroturf on the front :-D
Oh yes the J covers, totally agree they are pointless. i've seen a Lenticular Jaws on ebay this morning, the seller wants £85. Steep or will they be that collectible in years to come 🤷‍♂️

The latest video from AVForums

AVForums Movies Podcast: Which is the best decade for horror movies?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom