SlingBox Pro and Sky HD - Best practise?

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by OliverC, Jan 31, 2009.

1. OliverC

OliverC
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I currently have the following kit:

Sky+ HD >>HDMI>> Onyko 906 >>HDMI>> Plasma

I have since bought a SlingBox Pro. What is the best way of connecting everything? I didn't want to remove the HDMI links from SKY > AV > TV as that would affect the HD signal would it not? Is it not possible to take a Component out or S Video out from the Sky box as well as the HDMI or can you only use one at once?

Any advice on the best way to configure would be appreciated.

Cheers :)

2. Sephiroth0000

Sephiroth0000

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +81
    You are aware that SkyHD HDMI only carries 2 channel audio and not 5.1? Just thought I would point that out.

3. OliverC

OliverC
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  4. aerofly2

aerofly2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Hi,
    I recently bought a Slingbox Pro to use with my SkyHD, and I connect mine to the S video connection and use the standard stereo output from the HD box. Both picture and sound are fine. :thumbsup:
    I use it mainly to stream Sky to my laptop around the house, but I've used it out and about, and it's very much dependant on your upstream speed, but even at quite slow speeds I seem to get a reasonable picture. Just remember, if you're on a capped broadband limit it will eat into it quite quickly. :(

Steve

5. Sephiroth0000

Sephiroth0000

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +81
    Sometimes it can be something as simple as not connecting it right or missing a setting you need to apply. Below is the manual for your particular model so that may be of some help

Onkyo Europe - TX-NR906

EDIT: But may I also note that if you have SkyHD connected to your amp via HDMI and then via OPTICAL then the audio is not going to work via OPTICAL as you also have it connected via HDMI. On my 605 I do not have SkyHD connected to the AV but rather the LCD and then an optical cable from my AV to the SkyHD for the sound. I would suggest trying SkyHD connected via OPTICAL only on your AV and plugged into the TV via HDMI. Hope this helps and you get to resolve it.

6. OliverC

OliverC
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

Yes this is what I was going to do, however when I plug the S Video connection it can't find a signal when setting up - this is why I was wondering if Sky HD outputs from HDMA and S Video at the same time, or only one output at once?

Cheers

7. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,218
    thee older HD boxes could ouptu HDMi and component at the same time and both scarts will also be active. You need to assign the audio input to optical on your AMP for audio from sky HD optical

8. aerofly2

aerofly2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Mine is an original box, and it is capable of outputting HDMI and S Video at the same time, as I'm able to watch both TV and Laptop at the same time, dont know if the later boxes can.