Slimming World. Explain it to me

dUnKle

Distinguished Member
Ok. Firstly I should preface by saying, I know, eat less, exercise more, loose weight. I get that.

I’m 5ft9. I’m 44. I’m 14 stone. A little over 2 years ago I was just under 17 stone
I cut out chocolate and cut down on crisps. I walk 30 minutes to work and 30 minutes back nearly every day and I run on occasion but not consistently

I have ZERO willpower. I say I cut out chocolate, but then I’ll bang in a film and one of my daughters water eggs, or a full large bag of Doritos and I just have to have them. It’s not common. But it’s common enough

Anyway, I can’t seem to drop below 14 and creep back up to almost 14 and a half every couple of months (then I push the running again)

so I thought I’d give slimming world a go or just see if could be for me

a typical day would see me having 4 weetabix, milk and a banana (my fitness pal tells me this is 600 calories)
Then salad at lunch and a 600 or so calorie tea

my daily calories in my fitness Pal, without exercise are 1730. I’m nearly always below that. Or if go over my exercise accounts for it 9 out of 10 times

how would this compare to slimming world ?

I don’t really cook (ten days to have frozen meals or pasta/rice meals)
I do eat a fair amount of fruit
I drink loads and loads of water

DemonAV

Distinguished Member
My wife has used Slimming World and she did loose weight. It's all about the support network you have as you can go once a week and get weighed in and if you haven't lost a pound or two or if you have gained weight you have your fellow weight watchers there to support you, or take the pee. Not for me as I'm a lean muscle bound geezer with a schlong like a babies arm and I find it all a bit too girly for me 😁

Derek S-H

Distinguished Member
@DemonAV - I do like this reply, but losing weight and looking after your health is not purely a feminine activity!:nono:

OP - I'm sure these slimming clubs work for some, but they also seem to fail for many. I think calorie counting can only take you so far and rigid exercise routines aren't for everybody.

I would say it's important to have an active mindset. You say you walk 30 minutes to work and back every day - it this a stroll or a brisk pace? Do you get your heart rate up and slightly out of breath?

Apart from your walking, what else do you do? Are you active in some way every day? Do you always use the lift or the escalator? Do you drive when you could walk or cycle?

As for the nibbles, you know what the answer is: you have to resist the cravings and cut down as they are unbelievably fattening, though this is easier said than done as they are designed to stimulate pleasure centres in the brain. But if you realised just how much activity is required to burn off the calories, you'd never eat a large bag of Doritos again!

Despite what I've written, why not give Slimming World a go? You've got nothing to lose by trying it, though I think you will need to increase your activity as well as change your diet if you want to achieve your target weight (which is what, exactly?). And, bear in mind, that reaching your target is one thing, staying there is another challenge altogether, but that's what the mindset change is for.

Good luck!:)

Freestyler8

Slimming World basically says you can eat as much lean meat, veg, fruit, rice and pasta as you like, plus one portion of an 'A' (cheese/milk for calcium) and a 'B' (brown bread etc for fibre) a day.

Anything else has a "syn" value of roughly 1 syn per 20 calories and you allow yourself more or less syns depending on how quickly you want to lose. I think the standard is 15 per day.

My wife and I have done it before and lost a couple stone fairly easy with no additional exercise, but for us our meals are healthy do didn't need much altering. Drop the garlic bread etc! It was mainly about cutting out snacks.

We put the weight back on again when we stopped though so it's up to you if you can make it the lifestyle change it needs to be.

We're back on it and have lost the weight again, so it does work.

dUnKle

Distinguished Member
Cheers.
reading that about the support network put me off the slimming world thing. Just assumed would be some sort of online counting thing but simpler than calories

I get it around 10 to 12 thousand steps most days. probably over 40k a month. I don’t drive.
I never take lifts etc. Walking is at a brisk pace

I have now got my 5k time under 35 minutes

my issue though I guess is my weakness. Just giving in. Eating when. It hungry. Eating because I’m bored

I guess need to get a couple more runs in a week

Freestyler8

Cheers.
reading that about the support network put me off the slimming world thing. Just assumed would be some sort of online counting thing but simpler than calories

I get it around 10 to 12 thousand steps most days. probably over 40k a month. I don’t drive.
I never take lifts etc. Walking is at a brisk pace

I have now got my 5k time under 35 minutes

my issue though I guess is my weakness. Just giving in. Eating when. It hungry. Eating because I’m bored

I guess need to get a couple more runs in a week
We don't go to slimming world meets, so the support network isn't necessary.

For us, it's enough to want to be honest with each other about how many syns we have in a day.

I've tried to do it by myself before and will happily kid myself with what I'm having and of course the weight doesn't come off!

Derek S-H

Distinguished Member
For us, it's enough to want to be honest with each other about how many syns we have in a day.
Yes.

Whenever people do food diaries, they nearly always underestimate how much food they consume. But when they actually do track their intake accurately, it's nearly always far more!

Snacking is the bane of the food industry. We all like a treat from time to time, but every single day? Really? And all these take out delivery companies - why aren't people encouraged to cook from scratch?

The supermarkets are still avoiding their responsibilities too, in my opinion. They always seem to have offers on sweets, chocolates, crisps and fizzy drinks, but never on fruit and veg. The temptation is just to bung the treats in the basket/trolley, but once it's in your home you'll reach for it instead of fruit or water.

@dUnKle - don't wait until you have a health issue before tackling this, do it now, be proactive and prioritise your health!

booyaka

Willpower, exercise and a sensible diet. Nothing special about Slimming world or any other "diet"

That's all you need.

dUnKle

Distinguished Member
I fully agree.

and I can do two out of three. I just need the willpower

if I could half my snack intake and double by run I know I’d break that 14 stone mark.

I complete my rings on my Apple Watch pretty much every day. Maybe once or twice week I don’t quite get there but most days I’m hitting around 650 to 750 calories and pretty much always an hour on the green exercise ring

dmpzsn

Distinguished Member
I think I've said this before here, just over 3 years ago I was told I was obese at 15 stone. I'm not very active and don't exercise. I changed my diet completely, ate things I'd never eaten before and cut back on portion sizes.

I lost 5 stones in under 3 years and have managed to settle at around 10s 3lb which I'm happy at.

I still weigh myself regularly and if I see the weight creep up I cut back.

Good luck and keep at it.:thumbsup:

nheather

Distinguished Member
What age?

I'm 56 (57 in October) and I can't get below 14 either. Never been one for exercise - I can get my head into it - if I could cycle to work or something that would be great.

I'm 6'1" and normally sit around 14.5 stone but probably just over 15 at the moment because of Covid. Once I start back walking around I will drop back down to 14.5 but will stay there.

Now in my younger years (30s) I was more over weight than I am now, just cut out snacks and the weight just fell off and I soon got to 12.5 stone in no time at all.

If I repeat the same now, the weight does come off, but very slowly, it will eventually get down the 14 but just stay there. Ideally I'd like to get down to 13.

I put it down to my metabolism slowing down so I guess I'm going to need to do more - need to find an exercise that I enjoy or is at least passable.

Cheers,

Nigel

scatterbug

My wife has used it and it did work. The main factor is altering your mindset to get you consciously thinking about what you are eating. To maintain the weight loss does involve converting that to habit. And that's the difficult part for many.

booyaka

Similar - I was 18st plus 10 years ago, found cycling and more recently crossfit and dropped 4 st and kept it off.

Main thing I have educated myself on and learned more about is food/calories etc.

Just cause something says high in protein, doesn't make it healthy. There are loads of examples of foods that say 10g of protein etc - but when you look closely, there is also 10 g of sugar in it.

Read labels, track calories and keep sugar content down. That's the best advice I've learned.

The old saying "you can't out train and bad diet"

sim12

You'll likely find sugar and alcohol the biggest problems when loosing weight, the 2 compliment each other perfectly. Alcohol gives you the munchies and chocolate etc is very addictive
If your on a tight diet you could possibly undo a full weeks diet in one night, for example 2000 cals on wine/beer sweets is easier to consume than you would like to believe.

nheather

Distinguished Member
You'll likely find sugar and alcohol the biggest problems when loosing weight, the 2 compliment each other perfectly. Alcohol gives you the munchies and chocolate etc is very addictive
If your on a tight diet you could possibly undo a full weeks diet in one night, for example 2000 cals on wine/beer sweets is easier to consume than you would like to believe.

Still maintain age is a huge factor. I don’t drink much alcohol but too many sweets, crisps, biscuits and cake.

In the past (when I was 30) I found that just cutting right back on all of those would see the weight just fall off in no time at all.

Now in my 50s when I have tried the same thing on several occasions the results have been minimal and generally stop altogether when I hit 14st.

Suspect it is a slower metabolism, in my younger years diet alone was enough but now I am older I suspect exercise is needed as well - which is my big problem because I find exercise for exercise sake so dull.

Cheers,

Nigel

Last edited:

shodan

Distinguished Member
As said, weight loss is a matter of calories and the quality of calories.
600 calorie in a chicken salad is very different from 600 calories in chocolate bars.

The reason there are so many methods of fat loss is because by and large, they all work.

Slimming World works as a structured program and it is a FANTASTIC business model. It works as long as you stick to it.

People go on it and because they are making a change, they get a result. Stick with it for longer, get more changes.
Come off it means making other changes (more calories and lower quality food) so fat goes on.
So then they say "I used it and lost weight so I better go back to that" and more £££ for Slimming World.
I don't actually know much about in detail but I'm presuming it isn't personalized for the individual?

So @dUnKle, losing fat from changes to consumption is easier than exercising it away.
So if you know you have bad choice triggers like sitting down with family to watch a movie, then prepare for it.
Get healthier snacks for yourself like cut up peppers, carrots and fruits. Or set out half a dozen cheese and crackers and a big glass of of water.

Or maybe even go radical and don't buy the unhealthy snacks in the first place!

So, if you want to make a change, you have to make a change.

It you have no willpower, don't put the bad choices in front of you, choose alternatives.
I've even been known to choose a bag of baby spinach instead of chocolate and crisps No way I could eat the whole thing and it out me off wanting anything else.

dmpzsn

Distinguished Member
Still maintain age is a huge factor. I don’t drink much alcohol but too many sweets, crisps, biscuits and cake.

In the past (when I was 30) I found that just cutting right back on all of those would see the weight just fall off in no time at all.

Now in my 50s when I have tried the same thing on several occasions the results have been minimal and generally stop altogether when I hit 14st.

Suspect it is a slower metabolism, in my younger years diet alone was enough but now I am older I suspect exercise is needed as well - which is my big problem because I find exercise for exercise sake so dull.

Cheers,

Nigel
Sorry Nigel, but I was 66 when I started to loose weight. At 70 I'm still managing to maintain my present weight despite moving around like a sloth, my activity levels are minimal, but I don't drink, take sugar and try to keep my fat intake down as low as I can.

sim12

Cheers,

Nigel
I'm too sure about this, but my theory is this.
As a younger person we are more active, sports, walking, gym, outdoor pursuits etc, then life gets in the way and for most the active part of the life slowly slips away before you know it there's little to no activity in adult life as we know it. Then low and behold we try to exercise it hurts and hurts bad, we have all these memories of being younger and our abilities then, so what easiest thing to say Well it's easy, age !

For most people and this is mind boggling, they start exercise and diet then give up after 8-12 weeks because it too hard but this is the point when you should power through and start to enjoy what you've achieved but alas the allure of the beer and the choccy bars is banging on that door hard next thing you know it's been 2 weeks without exercise and diet and as we all know as an older person you realise it's actually so much easier to sit and drink and to eat all the good but bad things than to exercise...

mitchec1

Distinguished Member

We didn't touch slimming world but used Our Path ( now called 2nd Nature) advised to bin fruit due to it's sugar content and replace with vegetables.

Must have done something right as the wife has lost 7st in 11 months, me just 3 st but at my working weight so happy.

Edit: should add we took the lower carbs route not the low fat route of Slimming world.

Last edited:

mooperman

Distinguished Member
personally i'd avoid slimming world, the syns thing it mostly built on total BS (have a look at the attached image for example). Have a look at the likes of RebelFit on Facebook (or his website if youre not into FB). Its about making a a consistant lifestyle change... turn that big pack of doritos into half a pack of doritos for example..

syn.jpg

sim12

We didn't touch slimming world but used Our Path ( now called 2nd Nature) advised to bin fruit due to it's sugar content and replace with vegetables.

Must have done something right as the wife has lost 7st in 11 months, me just 3 st but at my working weight so happy.
Slimming World is a tough one, it was founded in 1969 when let's be honest people where for the most part completely uneducated on how to loose weight and so for the most part it had a place in the world, hell in the 70's even the likes of the great Dane Arnold.S believed in spot reduction for abs.

Last edited:

Rasczak

Distinguished Member
A dieting thread in General Chat! Is this a dumping ground for any old thread? There is a heath and fitness forum for this sort of thing to protect the masses from dieting advice! :p

I say the above partly in jest but I do think that dieting, and in particular finding a sustainable diet, is such an individual thing and there is so much conflicting advice that threads like this can be counter-productive and deeply unhelpful. Certainly this has been my experience in the past. I have oscillated between healthy and not so healthy weights over the years. Losing weight was always easy - just cut out the unhealthy things, do more exercise and the weight comes off. But the more I would read on it, I would ditch more things as unhealthy. And as time goes I would want some of those treats and would binge on them having not had them for ages so weight then started to increase.

I ultimately found a sustainable solution that has enabled me to maintain a healthy weight and it had a lot less to do with what I ate rather than when I ate it, particularly in relation to eliminating snacking and when I do exercise.

The 'so what?' is really that I don't think that organisations or plans like Slimming World necessarily offer a long term solution. Far better just to permanently regulate/plan your eating a little bit. If you know that sitting down to watch a movie with a big bag of crisps is something that you do, put it in a plan so you don't do it too often but know you have it to look forward to.

SDMDAM

Distinguished Member
Have a look at the pinch of nom website. Lots of tasty and healthy food. We have tried several of them and bought one of the books.

@dUnKle worth considering your macros. For your height and activity level, the calorie intake you have should be seeing some results. You say you already use myfitnesspal. Maybe bring the calories down another 100-200 calories and go for a 30-30-40 split. Stick to it rigidly for two weeks and see what the scales say. It sounds like you're pretty healthy though, 5k in half an hour is no mean feat. Maybe just a few kilos of stubborn belly to shift. The last bit is always the hardest.

The latest video from AVForums

Are the TCL MiniLED TVs better than OLED? TCL Interview with Marek Maciejewski | AVForums Podcast
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

iFi Audio launches NEO Stream music streamer with DAC
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Musical Fidelity launches M6x 250.7 multi-channel power amplifier
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Is Google set to rival Dolby Vision and Atmos?
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
'Tizen TV by Samsung' brands coming to UK?
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Denon announces five new 8K AV receivers
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom