Slimming World - anyone done it (and have any advice ?)

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Shady, Apr 18, 2007.

1. Shady

Shady

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +50
    Hi chaps

A number of people have raved about the Slimming World diet - based upon 'green' and 'red / original' days.

Has anyone done this and what have been the results ?

We have managed to copy some notes a colleague made, but these are quite basic - so I thought I would ask you guys for your thoughts as to what you have eaten on this diet.

Any advice, apart from joining the class (visions of Marjorie Dawes put me off) ?

Cheers

2. Knyght_byte

Knyght_byte

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +600
    why use a diet?

eat a ham (or chicken or whatever filling you like) salad sandwich for lunch (dont worry about what bread it is either, just eat what you like) with perhaps a snack size choccy bar (ie a mini mars etc)

for dinner eat a sensible size piece of meat, 3 veg and a potato/pasta based portion....again sensible amount......you can have dessert but keep it simple, pancakes for instant are a good one with lemon and small sprinkle of sugar, or a light sponge with some cream, just dont go overboard and eat a whole Tiramisu ;)

breakfast if you have trouble going regular is useful, but otherwise your body should have plenty of energy having digested your dinner during the evening.....if you had a very busy evening then some breakfast can be useful as you might be a little more drained...

dont snack apart from a couple days a week as a treat...

bingo

oh and go out and walk a bit, pick up a couple small dumbells and do a dozen arm curls and raises each day

3. DJT75

DJT75
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,856
    If you drink alcohol a lot, like me - Slimming World is useless. Weightwatchers would be far better cos you just count your points up.

Although Knyght_byte's right, I think the biggest problem for people is sticking to something - if you join somewhere & you're paying for it, you're more likely to attend, get weighed infront of someone & therefore stick to it for longer.

Just don't snack at all, you don't need any crisps or chocolate, cakes - just eat fruit & low fat yogurts when hungry, only eat when hungry & until you're reasonable full so cut down on portion sizes bigtime & drink bucket loads of water - water is the trick!

If I did Slimming World I would be as big as a house cos you can eat as much as you like aslong as you don't mix certain things. I'd be on a horse size portion of pasta every mealtime. Weightwatchers you can still drink to a certain extent, Slimming World is basically zero booze so sod that.

4. Mr_Wistles

Mr_Wistles
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,035
    Try to eat something every four hours.

5. mjn

mjn
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13,046
    Quite the opposite actually, you'll lose more fat by eating 7 small snacks a day, rather than having 3 largish meals.

6. la gran siete

la gran siete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,984
    the only diet that works is the seefood one.I love it!:thumbsup: washed down with some decent wine of course

Next day just get on a power plate

7. Dave

Dave
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,401
    My wife went to slimming world every week for a year and put 6lb on whilst having £200 took off her.

My advice, buy some scales and eat a healthy diet. You'll be richer financially and health wise.

8. Knyght_byte

Knyght_byte

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +600
    its difficult to have 7 small snacks a day that arnt bad for you or make you bored of food....heh

also you dont have to have 3 largish meals, just 3 normal size meals...lol

i dont think many people would remember to fit 7 meals in a day either, which could result in under-nourishment.......one of the worst things a fat person can do is crash diet.....not because they are more likely to put the weight back on but the health consequences.....even something simple such as the lack of sugar can cause shock to the system......

go to eating 2-3 normal meals a day and drink lots of water with mebbe a glass of fruit juice (but not always citric) and do a little exercise, thats all you need to do.....

9. la gran siete

la gran siete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,984
    morning start with a muesli soaked overnight add some grated apple or make a fruit smoothie. Once a week treat yourself to a fryup - nothing wrong with them as long as oyu use good quality products. Lunch salad usual stuff but add stuff liker baby spinach leaves, chickpeas or any other pulses. also some big chunks of wholemeal bread . Brown rice is cool too. Dinner - meat loads of it plus steamed veg, that is cauliflower, broccoli, sweet potato peas etc.Have a take away curry once a week. Also decent home made pud like trifle or sussex pond pud . Just make sure that you avoid as much processed gunk as possible and margerine which is :thumbsdow . Getting regularly ****** is important so add several pints of decent ale and a few bottles of wine.The main things are: loads of veg, loads of fruit, some decent meat nad plenty of whole grain then get ****** at least once a week. Not legless mind just merry.

10. Pat_C

Pat_C

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +219
    If you want to lose weight i'd suggest you forget about going 'on a diet' as that implies you will come off it at some point. Instead think in terms of changing your diet in a way that is sustainable. The advice here about eating smaller, more frequent meals is good - although that can be a combination of healthy meals and healthy snacks. Never eat until you are full, only until you are no longer hungry.

There are plenty of books on diet and nutrition - this one is good if you want a recommendation - and you certainly don't need to eat less, or dull food - just the right food. Avoid salt and saturated fat as much as possible, and consume as much fresh fruit as you can.

A combination of a healthy diet and exercise is the most effective if you are serious about weight loss.

11. BrianC

BrianC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +101
    Only worth going to any diet groups if you need the support network that they provide to keep you motivated. If you can find one with a good group of people that you get on with it can make life a lot easier.

As Pat_C says, healthy eating rather than dieting is the key, cut down on fatty goods, switch to whole wheat bread/rice/pasta (fills you up better for longer) and try cutting out meat once or twice a week. Plan your meals for the week in advance making sure you calorie count and size the portions correctly. The number of calories you require will vary depending on body shape, weight, height and activity level. Try this calculator as a starting point, remember to put in the weight that you want to be rather than what you are. If you are aiming to lose a lot of weight you could put in the half way weight to begin with, then lower it after a while.

If you find you snack a lot don't put yourself in the position were you have snacks or treats available that aren't healthy. Also cook as much as you can from scratch, you have far more control over what goes into the meal that way - most shop brought diet food is loaded with sweeteners and/or sugar and its far more rewarding to cook for yourself.

Don't forget to combine it with exercise and keep a diary of both exercise and weight loss.

12. la gran siete

la gran siete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,984
    saturated fat is ok in moderation. There is a huge myth surrounding it. Eskimos have been eating it for centuries to no ill effect and so have we. Main thing to avoiud in the fat world is hydrogenated or semihydrogenated olis which is why I mentioned Margerine and processed foods such as ready made meals as they are riddled with it. They contain trans fats which is an entirely man made product which the body finds difficult to metabolise and tends to get stored in arteries and the like:nono: Avoid it like the plague. Butter is ok but not too much and olive oil is the best. I use it a lot. Oily fish twice a week is also good - Mackerel ,herring, trout. Try and stick to whole grains not sliced white bread for eg:eek:

As for exercise - brisk walking is said to be the best. O good half hour a day, Running is bad for the joints in the long run so i would avoid .Whatever physical exercies should be enjoyable and not a pennance.W e are backed up by hills on one side -the south downs -which is great.

13. DJT75

DJT75
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,856
    Never seen a fat eskimo to be fair, not round my way anyhow.

14. la gran siete

la gran siete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,984
    thats my point . They eat a diet massively rich in saturated fats and oils and very little veg( if any)No trans fats though

15. Knyght_byte

Knyght_byte

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +600
    they also do quite a lot of work every day......i'd be willing to bet that most fat folk tend to have desk jobs or no jobs....and dont do a lot with their free time...

16. mjn

mjn
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13,046
    Except ........eat!

17. la gran siete

la gran siete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,984
    True but amn waful lot of perole worry unecessarily about sat fats when all they have to do is be more active .Also a lot of heart attack victims arent particularly overweight which indicates other causes - too much salt for eg or the above mentioned transfats which are found in almost all processed food .

18. darren_eaf

darren_eaf

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    I have done Slimming World. I lost nearly 5 stone in 6 months.

Have put it all back on the 2 years since stopping going through :rotfl:

19. Bat-man

Bat-man

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +566
    Got me thinking - most of the people I really like (and who appear to enjoy life) are 'overweight' to some degree.
    'Food' for thought! :)

20. Miyazaki

Miyazaki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +850
    I can't believe this has gone on to talking about eskimos! :rotfl:

They walk god knows how many hours a day, live in winter conditions of -60 degrees celcius, have to hunt for a living.

They could probably tuck away 15000 calories per day in the winter and lose weight.

The only times i've been able to lose weight is if I have a tangible goal. I'm not very good at it otherwise, I love my food too much!

C'est la vie!

21. Moosh

Moosh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +469
    My wife has been going to Slimming World for about a year now and has lost 3 stone (and the weight has stayed off)! She finds it a lot better than the other one, the name escapes me.

The red/green day thing is very easy to get into, if not a bit confusing to start with. But she has found that she is actually eating more yet the weight is coming off.

The Mrs. doesn't stay for the meetings but says that the fact that you have to weigh yourself in front of everyone is enough to keep her on the straight and narrow (no pun intended). :)

If you do go for it then good luck. :thumbsup:

Cheers
    Moosh

PS: I'm on it now (don't go to the weigh ins - why pay twice?) and I have lost half a stone in one month! :thumbsup:

22. RHCP

RHCP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Do the Billy Connelly diet,

Eat less, move around more, easy! :hiya:

23. WhyAyeMan

WhyAyeMan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +294
    A lot of these comments are spot on TBH, forget dietting, just eat sensible.

I turned 27 almost exactly this time last year, and am 5'10" tall and weighed 14 and a half stone, which is classed as obese. I cant claim any of it is muscle mass either as i was unfit.

Since then, I a reasonable breakfast (serial, or an egg or sausage butty), I have a small sandwich or a salad for my dinner, and a home made smoothy made out of apple, orange, banana, pear and some dilute juice for the afternoon and a yoghurt. A normal meal and occaisionally a desert in the evening. I still drink a fair bit (binge once a weekend and a couple of bottles of wine a week).

I cut out snacks like biscuits, chocolate and fizzy pop, and drink water instead. I do allow myself the odd treat.

When I first started I walked for 40 minutes a day and did a few dumbells for 30 minutes a few times a week.

Doing this i've lost 2 and a half stone in a year.

I dont do the walks or dumbells any more (but am thinking of getting back to those at some point), as I have a fairly active job, but i just continued to eat healthy and its still coming off, albeit now at a VERY slow rate.

I did relaps once or twice, but generally, dont worry about it.

Everyone i know who has gone on any kind of diet regime has managed to lose weight but not keep it off.

Think of it as a lifestyle change than a diet and you'll lose the weight (possibly slightly more slowly than those on a diet) and keep it off. I have never banned myself from any food, so I dont feel like i'm losing out too much. Just little things like reducing portion sizes makes a difference over time.

Dont waste your money on these clubs and dont waste your time doing fad diets.

:)

24. smelly

smelly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +102
    I have done both WeightWatchers and Slimming World in the past and I found WW better for me as it re-educated the way I ate, a little bit of everything just smaller portions. I stopped going about 3 yrs ago and haven't put any of the weight back on. Don't really think about what I eat now but its pretty much the same as when I was going to the class. I didn't buy all the named products though - spent first few weeks going round Asda and Tesco looking at all the details on the labels, fat etc and found lower fat/calorie versions of everything I normally ate.

My friend hated WW though and loved slimming world, so I suppose the trick is to find one that suits you. Everyone is different.

Oh I also found slimming world difficult to stick to if you eat out a lot as its sort of like food combining, meat on red days and pasta on green. Restaurants tend to mix it up a lot.

And also because I like alcohol too ...as someone else said :D

25. njp

njp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +177
    You might think that, but a medical researcher called Hugh Macdonald Sinclair put himself on a rather extreme Inuit diet in 1979. He wasn't leading the Inuit lifestyle (he was at home in Oxford), but he ate only seal meat, fish and water for 100 days (BBC4 had some archive footage of this in a recent programme, and his meals looked disgusting!). He found that his "bleeding time" increased from 3 minutes to over 40 minutes. Not good if you cut yourself or get a nose bleed, but very good for avoiding coronary thrombosis...