Slimline receiver needed - Marantz nr1711 seems like my only option?

LupoLoopy

Standard Member
Hi

I'm in the market for a modern slimline receiver to drive a 5.1 surround sound setup in a small room.

I'm currently running a Yamaha RX-AS710D into a Rubicon 6 set. My only issue with my current receiver is that it doesn't support Dolby Vision, which is becoming tiresome. I never run said receiver over -30db, so I definitely have some headroom for a less powerful receiver.

The only receiver I can find that seems to fit the bill is the Marantz NR1711. I have no experience with this brand whatsoever, so I just don't know how it compares to other stuff out there. Is Marantz well regarded? Or put another way... Why Marantz? Any testimonials of life with the product/range of products appreciated.

Am I missing a trick here? are their any other receivers on the market right now that are slimline and decent?

[NB: Please don't suggest I go for a tall receiver. It needs to fit into my existing furniture which hides it from little hands entirely and maintains the Wife Approval Factor necessary for her to accept us running such an extensive system - I used to run a higher end tall Yamaha amp and am happy with the compromise]

Thanks in advance!

Pulse1

As your driving a 5.1 system you could look for a second hand NR1509 or the newer NR1510. Both do Dolby Vision Passthrough and are 5.2 channels. Although i've no prior experience myself there supposed to be great little receivers and there is also a review by AV forums themselves by Phil Hinton of the NR1509 and going by his review it would be a good choice.

Gloucester

If you don't mind waiting, I should have a Marantz NR1606 available to sell at the end of March. Very decent piece of kit, but I am thinking of getting Xbox Series X and would like to get into the whole 4K/120Hz malarkey...

Last edited:

LupoLoopy

Standard Member
If you don't mind waiting, I should have a Marantz NR1606 available to sell at the end of March. Very decent piece of kit, but I am thinking of getting Xbox Series X and would like to get into the whole 4K/120Hz malarkey...
I ended up going for the Marantz N1711 in the end.

The latest video from AVForums

Maverick UK Premiere IMAX Review + Top Gun, Tom Cruise, Tony Scott and 4K + Movie/TV News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom