• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Slimline Cd player for under £200

hjni

Standard Member
I hope someone can help me.

I am after a slimline cd player which can be no taller than 60mm (6CM) tall. Preferably in silver. The price should be in the £100 -£200 region. The reason for this specification is that I intend to hook it up to my A/V amp and play music through the home cinema speakers. There is no space for anything taller in the entertainment unit.

Any advice would be appreciated even if it is store information or websites.

Many thanks.

Arfa

Not technically a cd player, but you may be worth considering something like the Pioneer DV656, DV575 or similar models in their range, as their quite nice universal players, covering cd, sacd and dvd-audio playback. If its going into your AV amp, you could feed the multichannel audio straight in. The range from £50 to £80 2nd hand. I think the DV 696 is the lastest at about £120 ish new.
Otherwise there the Denon DV1920 is a similarly capable universal player, they go for a bit more. You may even find a Marantz DV6500 second hand for that money, which are better yet and well regarded for musical playback. Some real bargins out there, as everyone ditches stuff to get a HDMI equipped upscaling player, but if you only care about is music, who cares.
Sure SACD and DVD-Audio are a bit of flop, but there is still enough discs out there to apprieciate it a little.

ghislain

I would recommend going to a dedicated CDP but unfortunately, I do not know any that would suit your particular space requirements.
Besides Pioneer, you can also consider the ultra slim DVD players from HK and Oppo.
Don't expect sonic wonders though - I own a Pioneer DV585 and while it is excellent for video, SACD and DVDA, its CD performance is mediocre.
That is why a dedicated CDP is on the way :D

Arfa

With such a tight amount of space left on your shelves, will you be leaving enough space for ventilation? CD/DVD players are quite suseptible to large amounts of heat, it wouldn't be advisable to put one right on top of a big hot amp.

The other way of looking at this problem, maybe to switch some of your components to a narrower style like that used by Cyrus. Then you could put two items side by side in the same place. Cyrus cd player do have a pretty good reputation. I think some of the older Meridian players also had a similar form factor.

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom