1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Slimline Av amp with 6 channel input

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Kahless725, Nov 18, 2004.

1. Kahless725

Kahless725

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,
    Can anyone reccomend a prefferably slimline av amp with 6 channell input with a budget of £200? I am looking for one but it looks like I will have to go for somthing like the Denon 1905 at £250.

Regards

Robert

2. MuffKing

MuffKing

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Panasonic SA-XR25 or SA-XR50

3. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    Pioneer VCXS501 S/H or ex demo...

4. Spoonfed

Spoonfed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Panasonic XR50. (I have an XR45 which replaced my Denon, and was chosen over a 3805 for sound quality)

I take it ur wanting it for DVD-A or SACD?

Even better option then is an Pansonic XR70 once it ships where u are, DVD-A over HDMI....... so NO DAC's at all in the procees, pure hi-res PCM, digital to the speaker posts.

5. ccparkhill

ccparkhill

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    I thought only HDMI 2 could carry DVD-A and SACD?

6. Spoonfed

Spoonfed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    As far as im away no HDMI does SACD, but thats expected with fony and its hand in the pot..... it has "provision" for SACD but.

As for DVD-A i have read the XR70 advertised as accepting hi-res DVD-A over HDMI. Its designed to be "comboed" with their HDMI DVD player partly for this reason.
    (though any other HDMI DVD-A capable DVD player should be fine)

7. ccparkhill

ccparkhill

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    According to the product description:
    Perhaps 'G-Full' is proprietary to Panasonic?
    Seems like a wasted opportunity :(

8. scussy

scussy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    would the SAXR70 be a good partner with my Viera 42" and Panny E85 or would the SAXR50 be better,
    also looking at the PIONEER VSXC502
    and
    YAMAHA DSPAX750SE

the pioneer also have scarts,would this be better for my set-up,
    the XR70 has HDMI but will i use it,
    the yamaha gets good write ups,(see above link)as i will be playing CD's through my E85 aswell,would the Yam 750 sound better,

then i will need some speakers :eek:

i would be pleased with any one of the above but iam sure the guys that know can tell me the best option for my set-up, :lease:

steve

9. Kahless725

Kahless725

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the replies.

Any more options? (Like the Pioneer with the microphone so far)

10. MuffKing

MuffKing

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The XR70 is a much better amp than the XR50 as it has an OSD, HDMI loop through and is made of high end audio components (going back to the days of water capacitors etc). It also has internal switching to toggle between single or bi-wired speakers, and has Component video switching which is perfect for looping your DVD recorder through to your plasma with.

I can get you a new XR70 for £300 if you want.

11. Spoonfed

Spoonfed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    XR50 doesn't have OSD. Didn't know that, i know my XR45 does :)

Not sure about your claims of hi-end audio components, has such been compared and confirmed? They have only just started shipping in the states, some talk on AVS but not too much yet.

It is "know" there are some differences between the XR45 vs XR50, with the 50 having betting analogue input stage but the 45 suposedly having the "best" sound yet of all the pannys (XR70 withstanding, as an unknown) due to power supply section differences and the way it controls the volume via voltage (so i have read)

Though to say the same again with the XR70, yes it is to be expected, but it is speculation.

12. scussy

scussy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    after reading up and looking at the options i think i will go with the

YAMAHA DSPAX750SE

having looked at the online manual and the write ups,iam very impressed,and so is WhatHI-FI and Home Cinema choice, :clap:

"Sensational specification; excellent performance in nearly every area", "A terrific debut - it should be enough to propel Yamaha back to the top of the class", What HiFi August 2004.

"The Yamaha matches the performance of other mid-range amplifiers with ease, but delivers extra when used in its purist modes, which are more effective than similar features in other amplifiers at this price level - making the Yamaha something of a star", Home Cinema Choice, November 2004.

i have just ordered some Celestion AVP305 Home Cinema Speakers the wife don't want the big speakers :nono: so i will just add some nice front speakers when she goes out shopping :laugh: then i will put some small Presence speakers behind the plasma a bit so she can't see them,so i will end up with 4 sets of speakers pumping away when i get the CD's out,i will now be using this set up for 50/50 music and films,and sky TV,timeto get the Bat Out of Hell CD out :eek:

thanks for the info guys

steve

13. MuffKing

MuffKing

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The XR50 is basically a replacement for last years XR25. The range basically went from last years models being XR15, XR25 & XR45 being top end, to XR30, XR50 & XR70 top end being this years models. So the XR70 is the direct replacement for the XR45, which is why it is the only one with an OSD and high end internals, as well as the new features for this year.
    I've yet to see a review for the XR70 though. I can still get one for £300 if anyone wants one though. Even the lowest Kelkoo price is £320 :)

14. harrison99

harrison99

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a Denon 770SD - it's slimline and works really well. You can buy it for £315 at AVLAND