1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Slim Samsung WS32Z308P, Comments

Discussion in 'TVs' started by benn_jii, Jun 30, 2005.

1. benn_jii

benn_jii

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, i have read this forum for days now, all very good and informative (to a point).

The term "a little knowledge is a bad thing" comes to me LOUD and CLEAR on this forum. :eek:

I have had a Nokia (yes a Nokia 24") square T.V. for the last 8 years (maybe longer). It has just gone bang. Can not watch a 14" portable anymore!!

I am looking for a 32" widescreen CRT (was considering a LCD but put off by all the bad comments and mmmmm the high prices). I have seen the Samsung 32" in Currys, looks very nice and tidy but i also like the Tosh 32ZP48P.

Which one !! (read good and bad on nearly every TV set going)..

I just want to watch T.V/DVDS on a nice TV set.

Any help would save my sanity.. :lease:

cheers peeps...

2. Eiji

Eiji

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    Get the Tosh 32ZP48P.

The Samsung is plagued with above normal geometry problems and the picture quality isn't that good on it either however the Toshiba 32ZP48P is an excellent TV and has got many positive comments from members here.

3. benn_jii

benn_jii

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    cheers, thats great. A nice looking unit too..

4. red16v

red16v

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Hi, I thoroughly recommend the Toshiba 32ZP48. Regards, yt.

5. Sofa1

Sofa1
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I think you would be satisfied. People are trumpeting about geometry problems, but I think they're too harsh on Samsung. Today I went to big electronic store and have been watching especially the geometry issue on different TV's. All I can say,many of them are just noticeably worse than Samsung. Especially bad is Philips ( sorry, don't check the model), but it is plain widescreen, 32", 100hz Philips, not HD or such, and its geometry is awful ( and Philips get a very good reviews everywhere). and so is the picture of any widescreen Philips I saw. 4:3 Philips are much better.

to some extent, ALL of displayed models, especially widescreen ones, be it Sony, Toshiba or else, have some geometry issues. I don't know how people are noticing this only on Samsung? On the other side, friends of mine, who are deeper into checking and comparing different brands are extremely satisfied with Samsung performance, and tell me its picture quality is much better than Sony's. to me, PQ is very good to excellent, picture is free of noise, colors are impressive and free of over-saturation, brightness is excellent. my complaints are maybe slightly overprocessed sharpness, but it depends on the material and quality of signal. watching Gladiator on DVD is breathtaking, black is deep black ( contrast of this Samsung is 5000:1!). and they're talking about the new LCD with amazing 1000:1 contrast!

6. caverncity

caverncity
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Am I missing something here, Currys had a HD Ready sticker on the Samsung. According to the spec, its only HD ready via OTA transmitted digital signals not HD via DVI/Scart or Comp. So is it HD ready as they put it or not?

7. Sofa1

Sofa1
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    As far as I can tell, it is HD ready but only through Component inputs on TV. it has auto sensing feature on Component input, so TV set recognised what kind of picture is sent to ( 480, 720, 1080i...). so, the answer is yes, it is HD but only in analogue input like Component because it doesn't have any digital inputs like HDMI/DVI or such.

8. tigertimtim

tigertimtim

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +328
    What a complete waste and missed oppertunity not having the hdmi connection, i proberbly would have bought one if it had, still waiting for a decent hdtv crt set the you can use for Skys high def service.

9. TV Headache

TV Headache
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Even if you don't notice the geometry, the Tosh gives a much better all-round performance IMO. Plus it's nowhere near as wide.

10. Sofa1

Sofa1
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I agree in some parts, but look elsewhere for discussions about HMDI or Component. HDMI is not always the proof of better picture, you can still obtain excellent results with Component input. implementation is sometimes more important than simple fact of have that-not have that.

I suposse no one will buy today any DVD without progressive scan, but on the very same Samsung I get poor picture with Progressive scan ON. If I ask someone between two models of DVD player, I'm sure everybody will be writing off the model without progressive scan as outdated, old technology and so on...

11. chriszzzzzz

chriszzzzzz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Had mine for a week now and can give you some sort of answer. The geometry problem exists, no doubt. However, once you stop doing the geek thing and looking for it, its not that bad and you don't notice it. The picture quality is excellent. the only downside I find is that the picture has some blurring on high colour areas like facial tones etc sometimes (there is probably a tech term for it). I think this may be the 100hz effect that i am not familiar with.
    the severity of the effect differs between different broadcasters on freeview.
    DVD quality is superb, and I havn't even tried the component input yet.
    I still like it, but, not being a perfectionist my opinion is not worth as much as others..
    Researching HDTV it seems that maybe UK broadcasts may not rely solely on HDMI and Component input would be fine. If so this set is perfect and and the right price.
    Anyway at this price its disposable in three or four years. Just right for a decent LCD to hit the market....

12. Sofa1

Sofa1
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    If I'm not wrong, a complete review of Slim fit Samsung WS32Z308 has been published in May issue of Home Cinema Choice. did anybody read it, is it went well for Samsung, what kind of good or bad sides they're noticing and so on? Do they speak something about geometry issue?

13. chriszzzzzz

chriszzzzzz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    I have not been able to find any review. It's not on the review website.
    I watched the Grand Prix yesterday on mine and it was fantastic.....

14. benn_jii

benn_jii

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Same here, i have tried to see a few reviews - but no joy.

I have checked out the Toshiba's at the weekend and although they have decent reviews, all the ones i have played with were pretty poor (checked over 5 shops, all the same).

This Samsung (along with the newish LCD-massive thread on the forum) look great and have a bit of style, IMO only - you understand. I dont want to like it, but i do and the wife loves the styling. The price is about £499 inc del from BE electrics (i think) - under £500 notes.

Never dealt with this supplier before? will hunt around for more suppliers.

Any recommendations please?

Thanks for the feedback so far, cheers :smashin:

15. Eiji

Eiji

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
  16. chriszzzzzz

chriszzzzzz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Not to my knowledge. Where would I source it from?? If I can find some I'll give it a go and let you know. I'm not the worlds most advanced techie but will try any experiments suggested..You can only learn.. ;)

17. TV Headache

TV Headache
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I wouldn't say that, just because you're not a geek like some of us are! If you've been watching the TV and you like the picture quality I would take just as much notice of your opinion as anyone else's.

18. chriszzzzzz

chriszzzzzz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Thank you.... :D

19. Eiji

Eiji

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    You would need a multi-regional DVD Player to play a NTSC movie unless it was from a Region 2 country such as Japan (NTSC) since UK is also Region 2.

The reason why I want someone to try NTSC playback on this set is because I sent Samsung an email about 6 weeks ago about whether the set can display NTSC via RGB or component and their answer was an indirect "no".

The online manual also states that the set only accepts 50Hz (PAL) via component but I am not sure about RGB.

Anyone know what the difference is between the WS32Z308P and WS32Z306T?

20. Sofa1

Sofa1
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    well, today I've tried two NTSC DVDs and they've played just fine on Samsung through RGB scart-scart connection. no sign of any problem.

21. Sofa1

Sofa1
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    you guys have to walk to the nearest news stand and buy a copy of May 2005. Home Cinema Choice, don't expect to find everything online and for free :cool: at least, you're living in the UK unlike the rest of us :hiya: it will be easier for you guys to find Home Cinema Choice somewhere.

22. Eiji

Eiji

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    Have you tried any 720p/1080i material via component yet?

If so, is there a big difference in PQ between 480p and 720p/1080i on the Samsung?

23. chriszzzzzz

chriszzzzzz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Yeah! played NTSC and had no problem. Picture looked fine. Not tried any component stuff yet. That will have to wait until I get time to go and get a new DVD player. :)

24. Sofa1

Sofa1
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I don't have any such material, so can't comment on this.

I have only tried progressive scan through component, and wasn't satisfied at all, you could check it out in the DVD section of this forum under Progressive scam thread.

25. AceAceFlyer

AceAceFlyer
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I note this TV doesnt have HDMI inputs.

My 360 has a HD wire with 5 bits to plug in to the TV, I have 3 plugged into my standard TV.

Basically could I plug all 5 in and Get HDTV from this TV?

Thanks

(Apologies for the lack of expertise!)

26. DT

DT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    http://www.samsung.com/uk/products/television/crt/ws32z308paxxeu.asp?page=Specifications

It looks like it can handle 1080i (one of the option settings on the 360 HD cable)