Question Slim MATX case

Discussion in 'Computer Peripherals & Consumables' started by arachnoid, Jul 19, 2019.

1. arachnoid

arachnoid

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    I need to re-house a MATX board, i5 system, and components from a desktop MATX cube case to a slimline case. Ideally looking for something that will take a standard power supply and be no thicker than 15cm or 16cm. There are plenty of options for cases with a mini power supply such as the Antec VSK2000-U3 but from past experience the small fans in such PSUs/cases are noisy. The case will need to stand vertically.

Any suggestions please?

2. EndlessWaves

EndlessWaves
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,564
    You can get much more efficient small PSUs these days that halve the waste heat they're dealing with and need less airflow for cooling, so they should be quieter with the small fans. I believe Be Quiet do a 90% efficient TFX model that they state is 15dB(A) at 50% load:
    be quiet!

ATX PSUs are 15cm wide mounted in normal orientation so unless you go for an unusual layout a 15cm case is impossible, and a 16cm one only allows 5mm each side for side panels, mounting mechanicms and any case structure.

16cm standard layout ones do exist though. Bitfenix do one with the Pandora line-up, although it does have a PSU pushed up against a grille which isn't always the quietest arrangement.

3. arachnoid

arachnoid

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Thanks for that, very helpful. I do have a very compact Dell SFF computer which is quiet, but need to use a graphics card and don't want to reinstall the software.