1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Slim centre speaker?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by doctorjuggles, Apr 1, 2005.

1. doctorjuggles

doctorjuggles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Hey all.
    Looking for a good centre speaker but I have to keep it as slim/small as possible, because I've just bought a pair of B&W DM604 S3s that are huge. Missus won't allow anything too large as the centre channel now because, to be fair, the speakers will just dominate the room if I go for something like the LCR60 or something.

So the requirements are as follows:
    - Nice and slim. The smaller the better (within reason, it doesn't have to be dinky Bose sized.)
    - Preferably very good midrange and treble performance. The 604s will be handling most of the bass, the centre won't need much grunt on the bottom end.
    - Black finish. Has to be available in black (not hard, most things are as far as I've seen.)
    - Anything between £100 and £250, more if it's a really, really highly recommended option.

Thanks for input.

2. Astaroth

Astaroth

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +95
    Are you looking at the speaker as a long term solution or just until you can talk the missus arround?

If it is long term I would not recommend going for any centre other than the matching B&W due to the issues of matching the fronts tonally - it may be best to let the fronts ghost the centre.

If it is only short term then something like the Mission M7c1 (£50) or M3c1 will do - it isnt a great speaker but is very slimline and the fact it wont match the fronts may strengthen your arguement with the other half :D :devil:

3. doctorjuggles

doctorjuggles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    It's kind of a mix between the two. I'd say we'll be moving to larger premises in about 3 years time, at which point I'll match up the centres with the floorstanders. This is until then, so I don't want to buy a poor quality centre that I'll hate for the next few years, but I really do have to compromise with this, because the speakers are massive, this is one occasion where the missus is actually right. (Don't say it too loud though.)

Anyway, she's compromising letting me keep such monsters in the lounge, the least I can do is reciprocate with her request for a smaller centre.

4. richjthorpe

richjthorpe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
  5. mhuk05

mhuk05

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +215
    3 years?! Sell the fronts and get 3 speakers that match *now* ;)

6. RohanM

RohanM

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    You'll be amazed how important the centre channel is. Honestly, don't overlook it.

I bought an LCR3 to go with my existing 603S2s, as I physically couldn't get anything bigger in the TV stand at the time, and regret it. (really wanted the LCR60, which was what I demo'd the Denon 3805 and REL sub with - oh yes, you really do need a subwoofer, too! :eek: )

The LCR3's good, but doesn't quite do it...

Whenever I change the TV, and hence need a new stand (the current one is integrated with the telly) I'll be upgrading the centre, too.

7. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    I think that will be your best option, you won't be losing much if anything as long as you are careful in locating your front pair.

8. Dfour

Dfour

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +85
    Very true and costs a lot less. It also has huge WAF as theres nothing there:D