• Welcome to AVForums running Xenforo 2.2. The upgrade from 2.1 was successful and finished in just 90 minutes. We're still rebuilding the database indexes, so searches won't be reliable for a few hours, but we feel it's more important to bring the forums back online. The most notable changes in 2.2 are listed in this post. Thank you for your patience.

Question Slim AVR

Shims

Novice Member
Hi all, I am currently looking at a slim AVR to fit a limited space. It looks like the Marantz nr1710 and Yamaha rxs 602 are the fav current models. The thing is to use one of these with Dali oberon 1 and vokal speakers in a 5.1. I think the Vokal is 4ohm and I think the 1's are 6ohm. Has anyone heard this set-up or own any of this stuff- it is difficult to listen to anything at the moment, and I wonder if either receiver has any advantage or if the slightly different processing of either would offer an advantage in 5.1 sound quality with the Dali''s. Cheers.

Gasp3621

Distinguished Member
Marantz offers more in terms of features, channel count (7.2/5.1.2) and also is 4ohm certified while Yamaha isn´t. With normal lounge volumes i don´t think you would need to worry with Yamaha and Dali`s as long as you leave good space around the receiver (top and sides). Marantz has also the new Atmos Height Virtualization for 5.1 for adding height effect without physical overhead/upfiring speakers. There is also preout for main channels if wanting to add poweramp for example and zone 2. More hdmi inputs (8 vs 4 on Yamaha). Yamaha has the option for wireless surround speakers using Yamaha Music Cast 20 speakers (power cable still each side). There is few open box models for both at 550£ Marantz and 450£ for Yamaha on Peter Tyson! Marantz seem to have 3year warranty as Yamaha 2years.

Marantz has also the new NR1711 model with 8K Hdmi 2.1 connections about 100£ more. I think this could be usefull if considering the new gaming consoles (PS5 / Xbox), otherwise likely not something to consider yet with 4K tv`s.

Yamaha may be introducing new slim line models in few month time. RX-S602 was introduced 2018.

Shims

Novice Member
That's really helpful- I do feel a bit like couldn't go wrong with the NR1710 model all said. Many thanks for your reply.

Rambles

Distinguished Member
Hi, I have one of the slimline Marantz. They are very nice in terms of features and usability, but the sacrifice is the power supply. Just 250 watts in the NR1710. I use mine on my desk for stereo near field listening. To run a 5.1 in a lounge / HT set-up, I think you would not get a very cinematic 'boombastic' experience, but okay for moderate TV watching.

Is there no chance you could fit in something a bit bigger, that has some more power?

Even with the slimline ones, they do need ventilation, so you shouldn't really be squeezing it into a small space.

Shims

Novice Member
Yeah I did wonder about the output but my only real alternative would be to put it somewhere completely different in the back but then would be long hdmi's and loads of cables might be equally room unfriendly. The room is only 12x14 feet and will be supported by a decent sub, so should be enough for a decent level I would of thought??? Many thanks for the advice, what do you think of the quality of the sound in yours? Is the transformer silent at the unit? Cheers

Rambles

Distinguished Member
Yeah I did wonder about the output but my only real alternative would be to put it somewhere completely different in the back but then would be long hdmi's and loads of cables might be equally room unfriendly. The room is only 12x14 feet and will be supported by a decent sub, so should be enough for a decent level I would of thought??? Many thanks for the advice, what do you think of the quality of the sound in yours? Is the transformer silent at the unit? Cheers
Sounds tricky!

Yes, I really like mine, sounds good, zero transformer noise. It does have pre-outs for the front left and right speakers, so you could possibly add a power amp to those, which would help, if you could sort some way of dealing with the connecting cables?

Shims

Novice Member
Yeah I think I'll try one and let the sub take all the low stuff, and if I find it a bit light I can add a slim amp which would work in my space- the silent power supply really appeals as some of these avrs seen really poor in that regard. That's really been helpful to know, thanks a lot for your time.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Q Acoustics Q3030i, Humax Aura, Roku Streambar & WandaVision Reviews and more...
Top Bottom