slim av receiver

Baz1

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi All,
After a bit of advice, I am after a slim line av receiver. Up to 350.00. Mybe the Denon avr 770sd, something like that.
Who has the best prices,
Any others I should be looking at,
Anything new due.
Your help would be :smashin:
Thanks,
Barry.

The only one that I have used with any frequency is the Pioneer VSXC501 and I thought that was a very good piece of kit. It is certainly worth an audition alongside the Denon and I think can be found a wee bit cheaper as well.
Ed

You won't go wrong with either the Pioneer or Denon mate, but I think the Denon has one or two extra features the Pioneer lacks.

Do a side by side compare and try an audition.

Looks good 'till you note the back panel piccy is a Denon 1804 :)
Superfi also claim it weighs 64kg :eek: Wouldn't want to pay post on that.

LOL . Only problem is a 1804 albeit a superb amp is a full size amp.

I'd also have to recommend the Yamaha RXSL100 Receiver.

I had a play around with one of these a month or so ago.

All in its very well designed and is smaller than the Denon AVR770 I'd also have to say that it sounds better than the Denon due to its Digital amplifier which also runs fairly cool and gives a surprising amount of power.

Disadvantages - well it is somewhat lacking in connectivity with a strange use of scart for Sky and the only other analogue input being on the front.
It also uses (horror!) spring clips for the speakers - presumably because they couldn't fit Banana sockets on the back.

All in the Yamaha is definitely worth an audition if you don't have too many sources (it has the same cool OSD style as the DSP AZ9)

Try it up against the Denon and take your pick - these two are the best slimlines out there.

Hi All,
I did try to purchase the Panasonic saxr45 from superfi a couple of week ago for 299.99, but was told it had been disconitued.
I have tried the short cut to avland for the saxr50, but it does not work for me. It seems to be the only place that sells it.
Thanks,
Barry.

Hi All,
There is only superfi selling the Yamaha, a bit suprised that it has spring clips for the money.

Thanks,
Barry.

We have the Yamaha RX-SL100 Reciever at our shop, Sevenoaks Edinburgh, if anybody wants a listen. It's actually not bad for the money given that it's an RX-V640 in a case a third the size.

Originally posted by Baz1
Hi All,
I did try to purchase the Panasonic saxr45 from superfi a couple of week ago for 299.99, but was told it had been disconitued.
I have tried the short cut to avland for the saxr50, but it does not work for me. It seems to be the only place that sells it.
Thanks,
Barry.

I got the SaxR45...really pleased with it. I got it from here: Here

Can highly recommend them. Price is £308. They had plenty in stock when I gto mine, so you may want to try them.

Crustyloafer said:
We have the Yamaha RX-SL100 Reciever at our shop, Sevenoaks Edinburgh, if anybody wants a listen. It's actually not bad for the money given that it's an RX-V640 in a case a third the size.

Hi there. Any chance you can look into the the connectivity on this amp please? Are the SCARTS RGB, s-vid or composite? The amp meets all my requirements but I need to work out how I'd hook up my DVD recorder, SKY and X-Box.

Cheers.

I'm in the same boat at the moment... Can't decide between the slimline Pioneer, Yamaha, Denon or Panasonic. I want to get a matching DVD player too (that has PAL and NTSC progressive) . If anyone has any further comments i'd appreciate them.

They are to go with a set of Gallo Micros.

Hi Jon,
I bought the Yamaha RX-SL100 RECEIVER and the Yamaha DV-SL100 DVD player form Germany for under 400 pounds delivered. Both are very slimline and match perfect and look very good. The amp is about the same as my old Yamaha 595 receiver, maybe slightly better. The DVD player produces a good image.
I would be very surprised if you where disapointed.
You know it makes sence, give it ago??.
Thanks,
Barry. :smashin:

Hi Baz1, which German site did you use? Why is Yamaha stuff always cheaper over there.

Ta

Hi Jon,
www.hificomponents.de
Yes the Germans do often seem to get cheaper goods, for some reason. Maybe gray imports, I am not sure?. At the time the RX-SL100 was selling for 399 pounds and the DV-SL100 selling for 149 pounds. I got them both at the time for 380 pounds including delivery. One of the quirks with the German sites is they do not except credit cards, so you have the hassle of doing bank transfers. It all went quite well, took about 3 weeks in total.

Good luck!
Barry :D

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom