Slim a/v receivers

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Mo'Reece, Feb 23, 2005.

1. Mo'Reece

Mo'Reece

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Are slim a/v receivers frowned apon or something? I never see any get recommended? Can someone tell me why that is.

Thanks

2. Astaroth

Astaroth

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +898
    I think saying frowned upon is a little harsh but putting it more simply the manufactures dont make top of the range spec amps in slim format.

Most amps these days are still analogue in the amplification area and these are relatively large and produce a lot of heat and so need spacing to cool (and amps now have 7 or more of these). Add to that they require a well conditioned input of power and so you need a large high spec transformer - which needs space to cool. You also want to cut down on intereferance between components which is easiest done by.... space!

The other point is of cause the number of inputs on the back of the amps, many have over 100!! - have a look at http://www.yamaha-audio.co.uk/homecinema/receivers/rx-v650/images.php for a quiter rear of an AVR

When things start going digital on the amp side of things then we may see more smaller cases coming out. BUT the question is do the cases need to be as big as they are or is there a certain element of 'mines bigger than yours' (and therefore better?)

3. The Gooner

The Gooner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    Some small amps are very good, I had a sony amp (sorry cant remember number) and it was same size as DVD player, it was good and I had 3 years enjoyment from it, untill of course I got the upgrade bug :rolleyes:

4. pragmatic

pragmatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,647
    Panasonic do some nice slim amps, I think all the small ones use digital amplification (not that thats a problem). Pioneer and yamaha have 2 models as well but I don't think the manufactures bother much with regard to the high end and slim.
    The slim ones lately have had most the features of the bigger ones just probably not the performance. Have a listen if you can between a equaly priced slim and bigger one, if you don't notice the difference and money is a factor as well as form factor then go for astetics as your not missing anything in sound quality.

I personal like the look of a beafy monster amp in my living room but I suppose not everyone does (or is alowed).