Slightly techy question re: new DLP PJ

cineman

I'm soon to be in the market for a new PJ, so I looked into how to get this one 'done right' unlike when I got my Panny PT-AE100. So I was reading this article on the HCC site, (as well as others) that say you should get the right projector and screen for your room, instead of just getting the one you like the look of. Well I have a five foot wide screen, which I want to replace with a six foot wide one, yet reading the articles, the PJ I was interested in (InFocus IN76) at 1000 ANSI lumens, will be way too bright for my (tiny little) room. My screen gain is currently 1.0, so would it be possible to get a much lower gain (6') screen and still get the IN76? I don't really want the IN72/74 as I'm hoping to go in for HD stuff. Room is 2.9m wide by 2.3m high and about 8m long, with big windows at either end meaning a drop down screen is only option. I did want the PT-AE900, but have to say goodbye to LCD as even this new one just doesn't have good enough black levels, (nor does the Hitachi before anyone mentions it either). Please someone, help an old (46) man with a broken bulb! ;)

cyberheater

It should be noted that the PJ's lumens rated should be taken with a huge pitch of salt. A 1000 lumens PJ is only achieved by having full white peaking and the zoom on it's narrowest setting with a new bulb.
A video calibrated PJ will be a lot less then that. More likely in the 500- 600 lumens range if your lucky.

You can get a ND (Neutral density) filter from jessops that will cut the light from your PJ whilst still maintaining the correct colour balance. A square one that you tape over the PJ's lens will cost around 14 quid.

In other words. Get the PJ you want and tailor the ouput as required.

cineman

Thanks Cyberheater, that makes me feel a whole lot better.

But while we're on the subject of calibration, HCC say in their review that the PJ is pre-calibrated to 6500K and has a self-calibrating colour wheel, so does that mean that my Digital Video Essentials disc will be useless in this instance?

Cheers, Cineman. :thumbsup:

cyberheater

I'd chuck a few movies in there first and see how you get on before shelling out for DVE. Chances are you'll not need it. I've DVE and i've hardly ever used it. I normally set my black level and contrast using Starwars Episode 2 THX guide and it's good enough for me.

cineman

Sorry, I meant I've already got DVE, absolutely swear by it, set all the TV's with it and everything. I did send off to THX in Illinois for the blue glasses and got four pairs back. The THX optimizer thingy is good, but nowhere near as good as DVE (IMO), as I use it to set speakers with as well (+Radio Shack SPL meter), everytime they get moved, ("Well I had to move them, the carpet was thick with dust!"), you know the sort of thing.

Top Bottom