1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Slightly peculiar pre-amp behaviour??

Discussion in 'AV Pre-Amp/Processors & Power Amps' started by Kish Kash, Oct 21, 2004.

1. Kish Kash

Kish Kash

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hey guys,

I noticed something a little strange about my rotel pre-amp last night. At very, very low volumes (say half of one degree over zero on the volume dial - basically the smallest increment before you hear any sound at all), sound comes out of the right channel only.

My system is perfectly "symmetrical" in terms of interconnects used and speaker cable lengths. Any idea why this is happening? Have you noticed it on your pre too? Is it normal, or a design/engineering flaw?

This problem disappears immediately after another (very) fractional increase. I have not been able to discern a balance problem with any material at listening volume. Imaging is seems fine generally.

:confused: Any ideas??

KK

2. Knightshade

Knightshade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    Hi Kish Kash,
    Don't suffer with it down in the SouthWest! :D
    Could be a very slight inbalance in the cabling I had a balanced set of XLR cables once. They turned out to be not quite so balanced but I noticed this at normal listening levels. If you don't notice it at normal levels I wouldn't worry to much.
    Unless it's been gradual and you've got used to it????:suicide:

3. John Dawson

John Dawson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +112
    If your amplifier has a conventional volume control comprising a ganged potentiometer then it will be a slight mismatch in this control. Perfectly normal for this type of control if a little irritating.

John Dawson (Arcam)

4. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,514
    Hello John

I've 'heard' some pretty expensive hardware with this same issue!!!

Though 'balance' seems to be restored once you rotate the dial a notch or two.

Best regards

Joe

5. Kish Kash

Kish Kash

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Come to think of it, I'll try the same thing with my bedroom amp tonight. I'm not sure if it uses a "ganged potentiometer" (MF X-A1) though. Are they only used in remote-controlled amps? How do your engineers get round the problem?

KK