Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Slightly OT - Crashing games; ATI/nVidia GPU...

Discussion in 'PC Gaming & Rigs' started by Bradford Blade, Aug 8, 2005.

1. Bradford Blade

Bradford Blade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +728
    Hi there folks,

In an attempt to get "2 birds with 1 stone" I forked out and got meself a brand spanking new MSI nVidia GeForce NX6800 TD256E.

Arriving at the weekend, I plumbed it in and looked forward to a Sat afternoon of gaming but............more problems :(

Every (and I mean EVERY) game is crashing in some way. I don't seem to have any probs with bog-standard PC usage, just games. Just to offer a few examples; Halo won't even go past the first few frames of the game and yesterday even crashed at the main menu; an older title [Battle Engine Aquila] ran for about 3 minutes before crashing; and as a last example Republic Commando, got three-quarters through the first mission before crashing as it was loading the last section.

I noticed at this last crash (after having to 'reset' as I get NO response from the PC whatsoever - it has totally frozen) the PC seemed slower than a snail, and opening task manager, I noted that that CPU was under 100% usage. So shutting down the PC, it powered down, turning off the 'power-on' light and HDD light etc., but the actual power was still being fed to the MoBo, i.e. all the fans were running etc :confused:

I'm presuming that since I had no problems playing games on my older and lower spec ATI card, this issue is related to the new one, but I can't figure out why. My current kit is:-

MSI K8N Platinum SLI which uses the nVidia nForce 4 SLI Chipset [MoBo];
    MSI nVidia Geforce NX6800 TD256E SLI Ready [GPU];
    2GB of Geil RAM (DDR400);
    Hiper 525 watt PSU;
    AMD 64 3800+ (2.4ghz);
    2 Seagate SATA Barracudas (1x 300gb, 1x 200gb);
    LG Rewriter & LG ROM;

I'm using the latest BIOS drivers, the latest nVidia graphics drivers (mostly still on default settings), and although these types of GPU usually need an additional power supply connecting, this one oddly doesn't! So is it a lack of juice?

Anyway, can anyone think why this would be happening? Is it a clash with drivers/software configs; as the CPU seems to be connected with this issue. Or looking at my kit, could it be a clash with hardware?

Please offer any help possible as I'm now desperate to get this pain-in-the-ass up and running to do what it was built to do

My thanks in advance...

LAGAVULIN

2. grimoor

grimoor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Power supply seems to be high enough. The only thing I could possibly think of is that it might be overheating. I know I had a similar problem athough it only happend with one game, but I lowered the CPU speed a bit and it started working again.

3. Bradford Blade

Bradford Blade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +728
    So your prob was related to the CPU and NOT the GPU?

The CPU is set to run on AMD's "Cool'n'Quiet" setting; could this be the prob or are we totally barking up the wrong tree?

Thanks anyway,

LAGAVULIN

4. Kopite4Ever

Kopite4Ever

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Liverpool: European Capital of Football 2005/2006
    Ratings:
    +76
    hang on so your just took out the ATi card and wacked in the Nvidia. if thats the case sounds like a driver problem. could be you didnt get rid of all the ATi drivers and they stick in their oar. its best rule of thumb IMO to reformat/re-install windows with a new Gfx card coming in. if you dont want to try that use a prog called driver cleaner to try get rid of all traces of ATI drivers.

5. grimoor

grimoor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Yup CPU rather than GPU, but it only started happening when I put in the new Graphics Card and new power supply in.

6. iZombine

iZombine

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Grimoor,

have you done what Kopite4Ever said?

7. grimoor

grimoor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    For me it was Nvidia to Nvidia, it's working find for me now, the PC was just over heating. Once I worked that out I got a better case with more fans and up the CPU back up and it works fine. It was just strange that it started overheating when I put in a new graphic card.

8. AML

AML

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +228
    As has been mentioned, make sure you use a program like "driver cleaner" to get rid of any old ATi files. Then do a fresh instal of the latest NVidia driver.
    You could also do a fresh instal of windows. I did that and everything runs perfect. I was geting some problems before when I changed from a 9800 pro to my 6800GT.

If overheating is the problem then just open up the PC and allow it to cool down and see if that makes a difference. If it does, then over heating is the problem.

But you should still take our advice and make sure you delete all old driver files and do a fresh driver instal.

9. Bradford Blade

Bradford Blade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +728
    Cheers Kopite,

Simply put, no! I should'v explained a little more clearly but I'd waffled on aplenty already.

But yeah, I removed the ATI drivers and ran a few similar programs as you suggest [and believe it or not, I got that desperate, I even reinstalled afresh Windows :eek: ]

But still the same prob :confused:

Cheers,

LAGAVULIN

10. Bradford Blade

Bradford Blade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +728
    Thanks. I have 2x 12cm fans (front as intake and back as exhaust) and system temp is around 24 degreesC at cold boot up and CPU is 28 degreesC.

Tried it this morning from a cold boot (hadn't been used since last night) and immediatley tried HALO (the worst offending game by far) and it completely froze at the menu screen.

I touched the back of the card (around the area of the fan/GPU) and it was barely warm - nowhere near 'HOT' :confused:

But yes, strange I feel is an understatement!

Best wishes,

LAGAVULIN

11. Bradford Blade

Bradford Blade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +728
    Thanks for that AML,

Done all that and still the prob :mad:

As said above, I tried loading a game straight from a cold boot-up and it still crashed, and my PC is pretty well ventilated/cooled so I doubt that it's a over-heating problem. What do ya think?

Please keep the advice coming as I'm at least going through a sure and steady process of elimination.

Cheers,

LAGAVULIN

12. bjd

bjd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +510
    Unfortunately, I have just sent back that very card. It started crashing at random, and eventually all I got was a horrible corrupt screen with weird numerical characters all over it. I had spent about 3 weeks trying everything to sort it out, new drivers/reinstall windows etc etc, but in the end, the card just died. The company I got it from now tell me it will be a 4/5 week turnaround, as they have to send the card back to MSI to get "fixed". I wish I'd never bought an MSI, as I'd read that their cards were prone to do this. I just put it down to net rumours etc, but maybe it's true.

13. Bradford Blade

Bradford Blade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +728
    Thanks BJD,

I appreciate your honesty. Would you be kind enough to tell me where you got your card from? For the sake of prudence I would suggest via a Private Message if it ain't too much trouble :lease:

Moreover, did it only crash on games (i.e. 3D apps) or on all stuff (2D as well)?

Please let me know mate. Cheers again,

LAGAVULIN

14. Bradford Blade

Bradford Blade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +728
    Well, I dunno why I didn't think of it sooner, but one option that I hadn't considered was that MSI appear to offer their unique version of 'driver' for their own brand of kit, and I was actually using nVidias generic drivers...

Yep, thankfully (and safely able to now claim lightning surely can't strike four times) it WASN'T a duff card - it seems to be simply a case of using the 'wrong' drivers :confused:

So, totally wiping nVidias generic ones and installing MSI's latest drivers for my card, HALO [by far the worst of my bunch - even refusing to get past the menu screen before totally freezing my PC!] not only loaded fine but - cranked all the way up to ALL the highest settings - I got past the first, and half way through the second, level without even so much as a hiccup or a dropped frame. Temperature was stable all the way through and image quality was the best I've had from any GPU.

All this said, I can't believe that it was something so simple - I mean, what was the problem with nVidias generic drivers? But anyway, who cares...

My sincere thanks to all those who posted offering hints and/or advice. It's very much appreciated! :thumbsup:

All the best,

LAGAVULIN

15. Kopite4Ever

Kopite4Ever

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Liverpool: European Capital of Football 2005/2006
    Ratings:
    +76
    at least you have it sorted. didnt know it was an MSI card (maybe i didnt read properly) they have had loads and loads of problems from the start of the 6 series launch, hence why alot of people stayed away from them for other brands. as long as its working now enjoy :thumbsup:

16. Bradford Blade

Bradford Blade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +728
    :smashin: Thanks m8!

BTW, if it ain't too much trouble, could you point me in the right direction as to where I can get some info on the probs MSI have had with the 6 series?

I'm interested to know the "whats, wheres, whens, hows" etc., as I'm not counting my chickens just yet, although all is well at the mo.

However, if I am fortunate enough (I think I deserve a bit of luck on my side at the mo ;) )to have a spot-on MSI 6 series card, I'll be a happy man!

Anyway, thanks again.

LAGAVULIN