slightly O/T - degradation of recorded disc

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by dvdope, Oct 4, 2005.

1. dvdope

dvdope

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi. Realise this is off tangent but it would be nice to know the answer if forthcoming.Does anyone know if transferring footage from VHS to dvd via a dvd recorder and then using the recorded disc at a later date to upload onto a computer and edit will degrade it? For now i just want to preserve what I’ve got, so a recorder seems the simplest and more useful option. Cheers in advance for any useful help

A freeview hard disk recorder is my latest preferred choice of hardware in my continuing quest to change from vid to dvdJ

2. ROYOLD

ROYOLD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +297
    Dunno. Why not record to DVD-RAM and edit it on the dvd recorder. Panasonic, Toshiba, JVC, Hitachi, Samsung.

3. Mark_a

Mark_a

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +495
    Only if you don't transcode it (and even then the degrade would be minimal), but if you just transfer it and edit it with something like Video ReDo, Womble, TMPGenc DVD Author Pro or MPEG editor, then you won't lose any quality.

Regards

Mark

4. dvdope

dvdope

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks for the replies guys

Why not record to DVD-RAM and edit it on the dvd recorder. Panasonic, Toshiba, JVC, Hitachi, Samsung.

i will still want to upload some of the footage (edited via a dvd recorder or on the comp) to a website at a much later date so it will have to go through a pc

Thanks Mark for the good news. So once i've got the 'footage' on disc i can put the disc into my comp and retrieve (edit if necessary) and upload to a site? Not sure what the transcoding is but pleased that any degrading will be small

5. Mark_a

Mark_a

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +495
    Absolutely. Though DVD quality footage is quite large by web page browsing standards.

It's when you have to change the bit-rate at which the footage is recorded. You'd do this, for example, if you wanted to fit data into a smaller space. In other words, you'd have to compress it more so it took up less space. The picture would then suffer - the more compression, the worse it would get. But those editing packages I mentioned go out of their way to preserve the original quality.

Regards

Mark

6. dvdope

dvdope

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    excellent. Thanks for the help