Slightly different zoom and aspect ratio when switching input devices

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by deweydb, Jul 2, 2015.

1. deweydb

deweydb
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello,

First of all, this is my setup:
    Panasonic PT AE8000
    100" - 16:9 Elite Screen
    Apple TV Gen 3
    Windows 7 PC with Saphire R9 280x Toxic (display settings set to 60Hz refresh rate, it shows up as standard plug n play monitor, and i cannot find any sort of driver anywhere, maybe i don't need one??)

I have two strange issues that i haven't been able to figure out.

1) When i switch back and forth between the apple tv and the windows pc the zoom and aspect ratio changes slightly. It is still roughly 16:9, or very close to it, but it changes slightly. I have managed to make it not that bad by using the lens memory option and saving two settings that i reload every time i switch devices. But i'm mostly just hoping someone might be able to explain to me why it changes. And everyone i've talked to about this offline has no clue what i'm talking about so it drives me a bit crazy.

2) When i'm using the windows PC the aspect ratio isn't quite right. Its pretty close to 16:9 but the only way i can make it fill my screen is by letting it crop a little bit on the top and bottom. Other wise it would not fit the full width of the screen. This is a bit frustrating, i wish i could fix this somehow. I looked through all the menu options but i can't find anything that would let me do a slight horizontal stretch to the picture, it only lets me change the aspect ratio to something completely different (such as 3:4) but this obviously doesn't help solve the problem and only makes it worse.

Ok that's it, sorry if i've been a bit wordy, just trying to provide as much info as possible.

Thanks for your time in advance!
    -Adrian

2. Peter Parker

Peter Parker
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,492
    What is the resolution your PC is sending to the PJ, and have you got any form of masking turned on on the pj? I take it you are not using any keystone correction?

If the source is 1920 x 1080 and the pj is getting that without any form of processing, you should be able to fill the screen fully, assuming the screen is also 16:9 and the pj aligned correctly.

Gary

3. dhts

dhts

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +308
    If I'm reading it right isn't it just a case that your PC isn't outputting what you need it to and you're just saying the output isn't the same size as when you use your apple TV ?

Maybe I've misunderstood but I don't think it's a projector question and nothing on the projector will help address the issue as apposed to dealing with the symptoms. I'd perhaps try posting in the Home Entertainment Computers section as someone there might be able to tell you what to check on your PC. I assume you've looked at the options on Graphics Properties (ie right click on the desktop and see what menus you have).

4. deweydb

deweydb
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    PC and Apple TV both set to 1920 x 1080. Yes. i am using keystone correction. I have it set to -6.

5. deweydb

deweydb
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes, the only options there that i have modified was switching the frame rate from the default 25 FPS to 60 FPS.

6. dhts

dhts

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +308
  7. Peter Parker

Peter Parker
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,492
    I think when you use keystone, it reduces the size of the image, though I'm not sure why it is different from the Apple and the PC since I would think it would be reducing them the same.

What happens if you remove the keystone correction - do they both look the same or different? Are they on different inputs?

Gary