1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Slightly Confused

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Bogz, Jan 4, 2002.

1. Bogz

Bogz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I read a review of the Panasonic DVD-RV31 player, which slated it for not having an RGB scart socket. Now, I've actually just bought one of these players, and I know it has a scart socket... so I'm assuming that there is a difference between a normal scart socket and an RGB scart socket? If so, could someone be so kind as to explain to me what the difference is? Thanks. :)

2. graham.myers

graham.myers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Normal scart just gives a composite signal, RGB is a much better quality signal. Bothe your player and display device (i.e. your TV) must support RBG. Your TV scart socket normally is blue where as non-RBG's are black. This is the norm and not standard - some manufacturers don't do it.

The manual for both should say if it supports RGB. Normally you also have to tell the DVD to output RGB and the TV to recognise RGB.

3. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +834
    It might have a scart socket but one that doesnt output an RGB signal. Some players can output various signals from the scart socket, S-Video, Composite, RGB... my Toshiba 210E does.

Others might not give you the option, although most modern ones should!!

Looks like your best bet is to use S-Video to obtain the best quality picture, its certainly better than composite!

4. Kevo

Kevo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +144
    If it doesn't support RGB then use the S-video option (DVD Menu) via the SCART. you will probably need to use the second SCART socket on your TV. AV1 is usually RGB and Composite only.

You should only use composite as a VERY last resort with DVD, as basically it's pretty awful quality and doesn't do DVD any justice.

5. Bogz

Bogz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    OK, the DVD player is going to be delivered tomorrow. Hoping it was not too late to switch models I called the store just now and spoke to the manager, who assured me that the DVD-RV31 player does indeed have RGB-scart output! I asked him to double check, and he returned to the phone saying yes it does, don't worry.

This is very odd indeed.

6. pointon

pointon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Yeah, the dealer would say that... but the Panasonic RV31 does not output RGB. It wasn't Richer Sounds was it? They've told porkies to a couple of my friends before (accidently of course, I'm sure :rolleyes: ).

S-video is not as good as RGB, and I really don't see the point of releasing a DVD player in this country which cannot send out an RGB signal. What use is that?

Send the player back or refuse to take delivery and then demand a player that actually has a right to call itself state of the art.

7. Doubledoom

Doubledoom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    RGB is also very useful if the dvd player is multi-region.

Many television sets require RGB to enable you to view R1 titles as not all television sets are NTSC compliant. Some can only do the sync but you get a black and white picture. RGB bypasses all that and will give a colour picture.