1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Slight WinXP Issue

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by chrislad, Jul 20, 2005.

1. chrislad

chrislad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +141
    Had a problem with XP, and did a repair. In typical XP fashion, it messed things up worse. Thing is I can't boot from my CD, as it's messed up and won't read properly (I used my external drive for the repair, which is a USB drive, and the BIOS won't boot from it).

If you know of a way to get into the recovery console (or boot a USB drive!) without using the XP CD, it'd be most helpful.

2. The Dude

The Dude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,408
    when you say 'made things worse' how bad did it get?

Is the system bootable at all?

Have you tried booting in safe mode? ( hold F8 at startup, after BIOS, before 'starting windows' screen)

If it's already screwed, I'd forget about trying another repair and just re-install.

Personally, I never use Windows Repair/System restore functions, they kill the PC more times than not.

I'd get yourself a copy of Ghost or DriveImage, turn OFF Windows system restore, and make an image of your system, which can be stored anywhere you like..
    Every time you change the system, make a new backup image..

I can help with using Ghost if you go down this route... PM me if you do.

3. chrislad

chrislad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +141
    By worse, I mean it gets to the Windows loading screen, then a big blue screen which stays on screen for about .5 seconds. Then it reboots.

I can't reinstall it, as it won't boot from the CD. I'm going about getting a replacement but for the moment, it's not an option. Nor is safe mode. I'm fairly up on my computers, so I did try a few things.

As for Ghost, my copy of 9.0 won't be arriving for another couple of weeks. So that's not an option.

4. The Dude

The Dude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,408
    But does it boot in safe mode ?

5. The Dude

The Dude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,408
    If you've tried repairing Windows with Windows running!!!?? :eek: I honestly wouldn't bother with anything other than getting your CDROM sorted and doing a re-install.

It's dead, you've killed it. :rolleyes:

6. chrislad

chrislad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +141
    *sighs*

It will not boot into anything. I did not try repairing Windows while it was running, as you cannot do that. I started the process from within Windows with my external drive, which I can't boot from, and the system restarted into the Windows set up, which ran fine. I killed nothing. I worked in IT, I know how to sort a Windows install. Normally however, I have my CD Drive working. The issues are not with my lack of ability but with other methods of booting into the XP Recovery Console where scandsk /p should sort me out.

Anyone else got a solution to my original query?

7. The Dude

The Dude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,408
    I wasn't having a go mate, don't be offended.

But if you ask for help, why not try co-operating with the people *trying to help you* ??

'safe mode not an option' is a slightly different matter to 'won't even boot in safe mode' is it not.. :confused:

I don't know you, never worked with you, so have no idea of your abilities.. just work with me here and we'll get you sorted?

The STOP error you're getting on the blue screen will most likely be either 'Inaccessible boot device' or 'IRQ not less or equal to....' ??

8. The Dude

The Dude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,408
    TBH You won't have much luck with Scandsk anyway... MS got rid of it after win98.

:rotfl:

Chkdsk /F would be a better bet, if you can get to the command prompt....

But that is not your problem, you're getting a Windows STOP error on boot, which is almost certainly a system config problem, not disk integrity.

What's your Disk/Partition config?

If you have a floppy drive available, and more than one hard disk partition, make a ghost backup of C: before you do anything else to that disk drive.

At least you've got your data backed up for when you do the re-install.

9. chrislad

chrislad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +141
    Sorry, mate. It's just frustrating. Plus I'm stuck in work and can't fix it, which irks.

I've a 60gig HD, partitioned into C: (System), D: (Media) and F: (Apps). My CD-RW (Broken half the time) is G: and my external DVD burner is I:. There's no floppy drive

And I know it was chkdsk, I just got confused :) Fixed my uncles PC a while back with it, when DELL told him it was hopeless.

The main thing I want to do is just find a way to use my DVD/RW as a bootable device. My system does recognise it on start up (when I press F2 to select a boot device, it shows HP DVD-RW I: or something like that), and then I get to a selection screen with my layout (CD, HD, Removable Drive, LAN). Other than that, nada. I tried leaving the XP disc in the DVD-RW, and it didn't boot. I don't mind having to wipe my C: as there's just system files on it. The registry was backed up before I did the install as well.

10. chrislad

chrislad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +141
    And to be honest, I can't even see what the error message is because it's gone as soon as it appears.

11. The Dude

The Dude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,408
    no worries mate.. We all know how you feel right now.. :(

TBH The lack of a floppy drive is a showstopper I think..Until your IDE CD is going again..

If you can see the USB DVD drive but not boot from it ( I assume you are choosing 'removeable disk' and not CD? ) I can only suggest trying with another bootable CD, something as simple as possible, ie a DOS bootdisk on CD...just to rule out problems with the Media itself..

It wouldn't be the first time I've been caught this way... :rolleyes:

Can you get hold of a USB floppy anywhere to test with?

If you can get a bootable floppy created,(with USB support, try bootdisk.com) and can safely format c:, you're obviously OK.

I don't have a USB floppy or I'd gladly lend it, do you know anybody else?

I know you want the DVD drive up, but if it's visible, and It's not the media at fault, then I don't understand the problem with booting from that drive either, to be honest..

12. chrislad

chrislad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +141
    I shouldn't have a problem getting my hands on a USB floppy. They're pretty cheap anywho. I never had the need for one to be honest. They're a dying media, and with USB sticks so cheap, what's the point?

Yeah, I was selecting Removable Disk for the DVD drive, but no go. I'll give it a good run tonight. It's been powered off totally and disconnected from the mains for the last 24 hours, so if overheating was the problem, that should be sorted when I get home in about 6 hours (the area underneath the CD drive does get hot sometimes, so that may have been the problem with the CD not reading.)

Thanks for the help though, and anyone else, don't be scared to jump in :)

13. The Dude

The Dude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,408
    I actually use a big USB stick instead of a floppy, for just this kind of situation...

Unfortunately for you, It's got both of my 'vanilla' XP ghost images on it, and some other stuff I daren't let out of my sight... ;)

I'd go get yourself one, I build/rebuild more PCs than I care to think about, and my PC building kit consists of just a bootable USB stick, and a Leatherman... ;)

14. chrislad

chrislad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +141
    I should have my Ghost next week (I had a pirate copy, but I'm not overly fond of that stuff, and since my mother needs it for the business, it works out for me).

I'm just glad I have my drive partitioned. Actually had Saturday scheduled to back up all my mp3's (around 10k of them, 30gigs), but they're on the D: partition so they're not lost. Which would kill me if it happened. Again (which wasn't really my fault. Stupid HP)

15. Paul Shirley

Paul Shirley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +174
    Try selecting CD, if necessary disable the internal CD drive in BIOS first. Remvable Drive doesn't seem to include CDRW or DVDRW.

16. chrislad

chrislad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +141
    Actually, it booted when I got home. So all is well. Yayness!

Bought an external floppy drive, which shall be promptly returned.

17. The Dude

The Dude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,408
    I'd get your lottery tickets on now mate, while your luck is in..... :D

18. chrislad

chrislad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +141
    Already done so :)

Now I need to contact HP and get them to send me a new drive. It's the second time it's broken, and I think it's been less than a year since the replacement. Either way, I'm making sure they send it to me. Last time, they wiped everything, despite my instructions

19. chrislad

chrislad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +141
    Cheers for the help, Dude as well. Appreciated.

20. chrislad

chrislad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +141
    Hmmm, now my wireless won't get itself working. Keep saying that it can't renew the IP address. DNS and IP are dynamically assigned, and I had no problems setting it up that last time. Any ideas?

The system is a fresh install of Windows XP Professional SP2, with no apps installed yet other than Norton IS 2005 (which could be the problem).

21. The Dude

The Dude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,408
    I'd say IS2005 is a fair bet... It's excellent at preventing non-hostile attacks..:D

22. chrislad

chrislad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +141
    Hmm, now I get the message Acquiring Network Address before it won't connect. Strange, yet irritating. Think I'll deal with it tomorrow. I'm too tired tonight :)

23. The Dude

The Dude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,408
    I'd give your PC wireless adapter a static IP for now and test.

At least you'll know which end the problem lies..

DHCP does screw up on WAPs sometimes, just disable DHCP, reboot the WAP, re-enable DHCP.... that should sort it. :smashin:

24. chrislad

chrislad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +141
    Got it working. Had to disable the XP SP2 firewall, remove the wireless connection from my laptop, and do a factory reset on the modem. All hunky dorey now!