1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Slight teething problems

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by pcookie, Jan 6, 2005.

1. pcookie

pcookie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    Well, I finally got my Sony db795 and Elac cinema 1 ESPII and although it all works fine (no hums or buzzes from the sony) I'm still not happy with the sound yet. The front left, centre and right sound fine. The centre sounds a little shut in with dialogue, but thats the price you pay for small speakers.
    The main problem is the bass, which sounds very directional to me. i.e. you can always sense when the bass kicks in, and it's slightly boomy. How do I work out where to put the sub and how to set the crossover/ volume /phase correctly. Also the rears seem to be not there most of the time and then too apparent at other times. They lack subtlety.
    The amp allows me to set distance, hight, relative volume of all the speakers, and using the test tone has worked to some extent, but I'm hoping to borrow a sound meter to help balance the lot out.
    Apart from all of that I'm very pleased with my bangs for bucks, so to speak.
    The Sony is very well made and specified for the money(£230 from unbeatable) and the Elacs are a credible alternative to the cantons everyone loves (Similar tech, just as well made, if not in metal and cheap at £199 from Superfi).
    If anyone can point me in the right direction regarding speaker setup, I would be much obliged.

Happy New Year,
    Cookie