1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Slight prob with 300D

Discussion in 'Photography Forums' started by Philster, Jan 24, 2005.

1. Philster

Philster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I bought a Canon 300D for a trip to Australia over Xmas and New Year. Whilst over there I noticed that when I look through the viewfinder, I can see a small, dark speck.

It doesn't appear to have any affect on the pictures at all, I have cleaned the viewfinder, i have cleaned the lens and i have also removed the lens and checked the mirror inside. All appear to be clean.

I am not photography-literate (it's my first 'real' camera) so can anyone possibly offer me an explanation to my problem? Like I said it doesn't have any detrimental affect it seems, it's more of an annoyance.

Would it need to go to a Canon service centre? if so how do I locate them? And would this be a free service seeing as the camera is new?

Thanks in advance

Phil

2. minimad

minimad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Phil

Where did you get the camera? If you bought it at a shop (and not online) then I would start by taking the camera back to the shop and asking them to investigate. If you "tinker" inside the camera (especiall near the mirror or CCD) then it can invalidate your warranty.

It sounds to me like you have a mark on the focussing screen. That's the bit that the mirror reflects into to put the image into the rear viewfinder (in layman's terms). This is a VERY sensitive part and scratches very easily.

Whilst it is an annoyance, if it is not affecting your shots and if you can live with it, then I wouldn't worry too much. It really depends on what the shop/Canon say. You took it to Australia and it sounds like the problem occured while using it. Give it a go and see what happens.

Good luck!

Collin

3. aliflack

aliflack
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    have you taken the cover of the view finder off? It might be that a spec of dust has got between the camera body and the clip-on viewfinder (the bit where you can adjust according to eyesight)

if its not that, then possibly a speck on the sensor, but as it's not affecting your pictures that would seem unlikely. Just to check though, try taking a picture of plain white paper and check for any unusual dots!

Canon website lists the nearest service centres...
    www.canon.co.uk

4. KoThreads

KoThreads

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +164
    Years ago I had an Olympus OM20 and it too had a black speck that I noticed while cleaning it one day. On closer inspection it was inside a Kiron 28-210 lens. It never caused a single problem other than I knew it was there.

5. seany

seany
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
  6. Philster

Philster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for such a great and prompt reply fellas, I shall heed your advice and see what I can do :)

7. tomson

tomson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +187
    earlier Eos cameras were a little bit prone to getting dust in the viewfinder itself - my D30 has something floating around in there that appears now and again and i've used a 10d with the same problem. A firm bang is usually enough to dislodge whatever is in there but it doesn't cure the problem.

8. Crocodile

Crocodile
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,710
    :offtopic:

But I have to throw it in anyway.

Shortly after buying a Sony camcorder, my missus had an unusual experience. While shooting some footage of the squirrels in the park, an enormous spider came into view. It was like something from one of those 50s Sc-Fi films. You should have heard the screams from the worlds biggest arachnophobe. :laugh:

Closer inspection showed a money spider in the viewfinder, which of course is magnified. I've no idea how it got in there as I had to resort to a screwdriver to remove the viewfinder & allow it to make it's escape....

9. mr jones

mr jones
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    quality!

obviously as she was screaming you sat there laughing? yeh?