slight juddering on panning shots

Crunchie

Established Member
Reaction score
My Panasonic PX60 42" plasma has a slight judder when panning, especially on NTSC DVD's. Will Panasonic's newer plasmas with 600Hz frame interpolation remedy this? I also get juddering at 1080i with Blu-Ray discs - do I need a TV with 24p playback to fix this or would the 600Hz interpolation method work too? I can't see any setting on my Sony S360 Blu-Ray player to minimise this effect.

Basically, which of the plasma manufacturers offer TV's with the smoothest panning pictures with all sources (PAL DVD, NTSC DVD, Blu-Ray, Sky TV).

Many thanks.

If you get a panny with 24p it will be smooth, my main tv hasn't got it and I notice the blurring, I am getting the new one when it comes out.

My Panasonic PX60 42" plasma has a slight judder when panning, especially on NTSC DVD's. Will Panasonic's newer plasmas with 600Hz frame interpolation remedy this? I also get juddering at 1080i with Blu-Ray discs - do I need a TV with 24p playback to fix this or would the 600Hz interpolation method work too? I can't see any setting on my Sony S360 Blu-Ray player to minimise this effect.

Basically, which of the plasma manufacturers offer TV's with the smoothest panning pictures with all sources (PAL DVD, NTSC DVD, Blu-Ray, Sky TV).

Many thanks.

As stated, you need a TV that supports 24p to prevent telecine judder with Blu-ray.

However with NTSC DVD, if it is fed into your TV at 60i or 60p then you will still get telecine judder. The only screens I know of that could construct the original 24fps from a 480i60 where Pioneer and Fujitsu (Panny's have no type of film de-interlacing whatsoever). Your options here are a player that can output 1080p24 from NTSC DVD or a video processor.

Switch off the 24 option on the player if your tv ainyt compatible though if its on Auto it should? switch off anyway if the tv is non cmpatible

I've tried the Blu-Ray player's 24p settings on both "Auto" and "Off" but Blu-Ray discs still stutter a little. I'm using HDMI - could it be the cable? My TV is a 1080i plasma (Panasonic PX60, 2006).

Last edited:
Jaymac - is your TV a 2006 Panasonic like mine? I ask because later plasmas are equipped to correctly display 24p whereas mine isn't.

Hmm, thanks, methinks it's time to look for a new telly then :)

My panny PX70 shows slight judder on anything below 50fps, like 30fps games, 60fps stuff is smooth though.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom